Tire Recommendations

ANG0225

I got a set of Maxxis 8008 in the configuration you want. You also have the choice of load range D or load range E. My rims would not support the higher pressures the LR E used so I opted for the D (original rating). I went through Simpletire.com for them. I managed to screw up the first order and somehow wound up with 205/75/15 tires instead of the 225/75/15 tires I needed. I contacted Simple tire through the web contact and they exchanged them no questions asked. I did have to pay for the shipping back, but they sent out the replacement tires and sent me shipping labels for the smaller ones. When Fed Ex got there with the new tires I gave him the others.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Maxxis 8008 they will need to be ordered but you can try local tire shops and they should be able to order them. Or they could be ordered online as Mntom did.

It would be good to know wheel position weights to know the loading of your trailer.

As Mntom also said it would be good to know the ratings of the wheels/rims.

Personally I would still get the Load Range E /Ply Rating 10 and if rims could not hold 2830 lbs or 80 psi I would get new rims.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

The Maxxis 8008s have a very good reputation. I just replaced a set with four years and 20,000+ miles on them. The main reason I replaced them was because of the off road use that we gave them resulting in side wall scuffs and such. After doing considerable research, I decided to go with the Carlyle Radial Trail RH. In the research I did I found many pages of reviews with not one complaint. The Carlyle's are speed rated at 87MPH unlike the Maxxis and many other ST tires that are speed rated at 65MPH. If you can do with a tire rated for slightly less weight, the Goodyear G26 commercial tire is rate for 2470# at 65psi and is speed rated to 106 MPH. The diameter of the G26 225/70R/15C is slightly less than the 28.3" of the ST225/75R/15 at 27.4".

I have a motorhome but we travel with 4 fifth wheels....all of which have had tire problems...blowouts mostly. Until they switched to LT tires. All 4 owners have sworn they will never own another st tire....ever. I had the same problem when I had my fifth wheel....3 out of 4 st tires failed....switched to lt tires and breathed a little easier.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I have a motorhome but we travel with 4 fifth wheels....all of which have had tire problems...blowouts mostly. Until they switched to LT tires. All 4 owners have sworn they will never own another st tire....ever. I had the same problem when I had my fifth wheel....3 out of 4 st tires failed....switched to lt tires and breathed a little easier.

This has been discussed many times on this forum and unless there are recent new products on the market, there are not LT tires in 15" that have the required load rating. If this thread goes as usual, some one will be along shortly stating that there are F, G, and H rated tires in 15". However; those tires are for commercial trailers, are significantly wider and/or taller than the 15" tires on travel trailers and 5th wheels, and I believe are speed rated at 50-55 MPH. If there is room in the wheel wells and between the axles, the most viable way to switch from 15" ST tires to LT tires is to switch to 16" rims and tires or maybe even 17.5".

Archived