Unhitching the PC From OneDrive

RV_

Folks on the road have limitations in their data amounts and while some folks want all their data repeated to "The Cloud," others would rather do everything "local," only on their hard drive.

For those that want to stop using bandwidth for OneDrive completely here is how.

Excerpt:

"Q. How do I make all my files stop automatically downloading to the OneDrive in Windows 10 Home Edition? Can I just get rid of OneDrive? I never use it.

A. OneDrive, Microsoft’s cloud-storage service that synchronizes files on your PC with its online servers, is part of the Window 10 operating system and cannot be fully uninstalled. If you prefer to keep your files stored on your computer, you can turn off the automatic syncing function and hide the program from view so you do not have to use it or even see it in the Windows File Explorer.

To start disengaging OneDrive from your system, right-click its icon in the taskbar (or press and hold the icon on a touch-screen computer) and select Settings from the menu. If you do not see the double-cloud OneDrive icon, click the taskbar’s upward-pointing arrow to open the menu of hidden icons, locate the OneDrive icon and right-click it from there.

Once the OneDrive Settings box is open on the screen, click though its tabs to disable its syncing functions. On the Settings tab, turn off the checkboxes in the General area. On the Auto Save tab, set the drop-down menu options next to Documents and Pictures to This PC Only, and turn off the checkboxes for storing photos, videos and screen shots online."

It is really pretty easy with the rest of the directions and the screen shots in the article. And also shows you how easy making changes in Windows 10 that are deep reaching can be. Go here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/technology/personaltech/unhitching-the-pc-from-onedrive.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_tu_20160616&nl=bits&nl_art=5&nlid=36852580&ref=headline&te=1

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Mark,

I do too, but I also have no real data limits (350GB a month) compared to RVrs using Cellular based data. Mark, we take it a step farther in that we both have Windows phones, Lumia 735s, and they also are connected to OneDrive. I keep all my pics and notes like the windshield wiper, tire, filters and other miscellaneous data that I rarely keep on me. I am looking for Office and OneDrive to get even faster and more integrated with the so far unseen Surface phones. I'll be happy if they just upgrade our phones to Windows 10 mobile.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I upgraded my laptop from windows 7. I never setup OneDrive and have no desire to. Every time it asks me to set it up I don't. When I right click on the OneDrive line in the apps window, there is an uninstall choice. What will happen if I just uninstall the OneDrive app?

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Archived