Looking for camping/boondocking options in Shasta area....

dartmouth01

Hi y'all! I'm in charge of planning a Memorial Day weekend group camping excursion to the Shasta area, which is daunting since I've never been there. We have about 15-20 people interested, but I believe my rig will be the only one there, everyone else will car/tent camp. With this many people, I'm interested in finding some dispersed camping area, but I'm open to all ideas. I'm starting to look at group campsites, also checked my Days End Directory, and doing my best google fu, but I figured I'd pick my fellow Escapee's minds. If you have any info to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Ok, so after some research, I found 1 group campsite at Fern Campground on Lake Trinity but I also found out the most direct route to there is currently closed because of a mudslide. I have also found that you can apparently boondock on the beach of Shasta. The two "beaches" that I found should have access for a big rig is Gregory Beach and Beehive Point. If anyone has any experience with any of those locations, please let me know. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Been to both Gregory and Beehive....they are both popular. Beehive would be my first choice on Shasta Lake as there is more shade available if I recall, but flat spots to park an RV on are fewer that Gregory. Gregory can be a huge spot (no shade)when the water is down some.....

Never heard of Fern on Trinity and cant find it in a search either. I have stayed at Bushy Tail, but it's not boondocking. They have a few single sites and many double, triple, and I think there were quad sites too. Nice stamped concrete patios with firepits and I think there was power at the site we stayed in. It was close to the boat ramp too. Hot showers/flush bathrooms. Lots of shade!

Another one to check out is "Pollution Point" at Jones Valley on Shasta Lake.......Nice name huh? It is boondocking, but the driftwood does built up....good for raging fires!

Not much boondocking on the lakes up here and I think it's due to the steep water line.

Just read the date of your post.....probably too late!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Thanks! The trip came and went, and it was a great time. Fern is actually a group only campground. There are two loops, A is the flatter one, while B is on a hill side. But, there were only 20 so of us, so it felt quite spacious (capacity is 100). It was well worth the $100 or so a night that it cost. There is access to Trinity Lake, but it is a steep climb down the embankment.

Archived