Oven Problems

kinseypw

Started having a problem with the oven in our Cougar 5th wheel. On low heat (300F) the oven tends to go out after being lit for 15-30 minutes. On higher temp setting it stays lit but the pilot keeps "blipping" - almost going out then catching again maybe 1-3 times second. I tired to explore inside but the burner is screwed to the lowest shelf and I cant get the screw undone. When I finally closed the oven I noticed that now the door doesnt close properly and is open about 1/2 inch at the top. Can anyone please help with ideas on what to do to fix the pilot issue and align the door????

I Can't speak to correcting the door. Our oven pilot began going out, I removed everything, disassembled the burner, cleaned everything, and I didn't accomplish anything. I removed the oven valve and LP regulator to clean them. In doing so I discovered a tiny brass "hat" looking thing when I removed the gas line from the valve to the burner. Thinking I at this point I can't make things worse so I removed the brass "hat", reconnected everything, and the oven pilot worked at it should.

I suspect the "hat" was a factory plug to keep the valve clean until installation on the production line, but someone failed to remove it.

BE ADVISED! When the brass "hat" is removed, the pilot flame is BIG, the pilot flame size adjustment must be turned down.

OTOH, it could simply be your pilot size may be too small and need increased enough to remain lit when the main burner cycles. That's what began my DIY disassembly stuff, the pilot flame would not change when I attempted adjustment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

In doing so I discovered a tiny brass "hat" looking thing when I removed the gas line from the valve to the burner.

Hopefully, one of the RV techs who belong to this forum will read this post and offer an opinion about what you removed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That "brass hat" as stated by Mntom is the pilot orifice. It is there for a purpose....to regulate the size of the pilot flame. It should not just be removed. They do get dirty and plug up the tiny little hole thus causing pilot flame problems. Part of regular maintenance is to keep things like this clean and shiny.

Ray you should clean that orifice and look for daylight through the hole in it and reinstall it. Its a safety issue.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

This would be because the brass "hat" is called the pilot orifice. It has a small hole in it to allow just enough gas through to keep the pilot at the correct size. If you pull the orifice you should be able to hold it close to your eye and look through the hole. You should be able to see detail in what ever you are looking at. If you don't see detail you would need to clean the hole out. BE CAREFUL with cleaning it because you can make the hole larger. Use an air compressor to try to clean it out.

Good catch! Not sure why I failed to think of that but I've no doubt that you are correct. And based upon that, the safety side of this can't be overstated!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That "brass hat" as stated by Mntom is the pilot orifice. It is there for a purpose....to regulate the size of the pilot flame. It should not just be removed. They do get dirty and plug up the tiny little hole thus causing pilot flame problems. Part of regular maintenance is to keep things like this clean and shiny.

Ray you should clean that orifice and look for daylight through the hole in it and reinstall it. Its a safety issue.

Well, that 5er and oven are long gone. The oven operated great without that orifice for 8 years without it, never did have another problem with the pilot light staying lit or fluctuating in size, BTW, my wife loves to bake, the oven kept a reasonably constant temperature after I placed some unglazed floor tile on the solid shelf above the burner assy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived