Digitizing photos, slides, and movies

mrebele

As I started thinking about going fulltime in 2 years, I was wrestling with what to do with all of my photos, slides, and old family movies. I happened to get an email from Groupon with a sale on a company that will do that for you. Instead of paying $15.95 for a 50 ft movie, the rate came out to about $3.50. I paid about $78.00 for 21 movies. I can't vouch for the quality as I've just sent them in but if you are looking for some way to save these things, I would suggest that you look at Groupon. They had more than 1 company with these services. I'll let you know, when I get the movies, how this has worked out for me.

I used COSTCO, they had coupons that made slides and video tapes worth converting. My wife and I scanned all the photo albums ourselves over the space of about a month.

The neat thing now is that we can share them online with friends and relations. They think we're cool having so many pictures of us all growing up.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

scouser141: I've been doing the same thing with the photos but I have a lot of the old super 8 movies and I couldn't figure out any other way to do this. The nearest COSTCO is 2 hours away but maybe I'll look online to see if it can be done that way. I'll check their prices. I have way to many boxes of pictures, slides and movies to take with me so this makes sense. I also post a lot of family pictures and I get the same reaction. In my family, I'm the keeper of most of the really old pictures and I haven't figured out what I want to do with them. They go back to the late 1800's and early 1900s and I can't bring myself to part with them, even if I digitize them. I'm hoping that a cousin or sibling will keep them safe for me when I travel.

In my family, I'm the keeper of most of the really old pictures and I haven't figured out what I want to do with them. They go back to the late 1800's and early 1900s and I can't bring myself to part with them, even if I digitize them. I'm hoping that a cousin or sibling will keep them safe for me when I travel.

Have you checked with your local historical society to see if they'd like to add them to their collections? Be sure to find out how accessible they might be to you in the future if you decide to do that. Some treat their collections like library reference material that can be viewed on the premises but not all do that.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That's a good thought Linda. The older ones are from NY City and I could eventually check that out. I live in NH so I don't get down that way too often. My first wish would be to keep them in the family but if that doesn't work, it would be great to have the preserved in a historical society.

Archived