How do I find DNS Server ?

I'm trying to connect my Samsung BR player to my Go2. The BR will not find the Go2 automatically. When I enter the Go2's IP, Mask, and gateway, it will connect to the Go2 but not to the Internet as it is missing the DNS Server IP. How do I find that?

Thanks in advance.

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

I don't know anything specific about either product. But in the typical LAN device setup, you would enter the same gateway address as the primary DNS address in the player network setup. That forces it to look at the GO2 for internet & DNS.

It should have an auto connect feature, but if that's not working or you prefer manual network setup use the router's gateway IP address for DNS on downstream devices.

Jim

As a usual rule each device will get the DNS settings from the server it is attaching to. I.e., the PC would get its DNS settings from the router. The router would get its setting to whatever source it is connecting to.

There is usually a setting that says "Obtain DNS settings automatically"

When there are multiple devices in the chain, the DNS settings are usually send down the line.

You can force a DNS setting, a global one is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

But really someone in the line is not really connected. Like the GO to Park WiFi.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

As a usual rule each device will get the DNS settings from the server it is attaching to. I.e., the PC would get its DNS settings from the router. The router would get its setting to whatever source it is connecting to.

There is usually a setting that says "Obtain DNS settings automatically"

When there are multiple devices in the chain, the DNS settings are usually send down the line.

You can force a DNS setting, a global one is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

But really someone in the line is not really connected. Like the GO to Park WiFi.

Yeah, I cant enter the IPs in the BR manually and then select "Obtain DNS settings automatically". It wants all manual inputs. So, my Elite is connected to the park wifi, and my peripherals are connected to the Go2, I will try the global setting you suggested. Thx.

George and Ann Marie

Retired US Army

Yeah, I cant enter the IPs in the BR manually and then select "Obtain DNS settings automatically". It wants all manual inputs. So, my Elite is connected to the park wifi, and my peripherals are connected to the Go2, I will try the global setting you suggested. Thx.

IT WORKS... Don't know why really. I tried entering the DNS and it did not work. I went back to the beginning (again) the BR automatically "found" the Go2 like it should have the first three times !!

I'm streaming Amazon Prime! Life is good.

Thanks

George and Ann Marie

Retired US Army

My bet is that your problem lies with how your workstation is interacting with DHCP. DHCP is the process/protocol that is executed when your workstation attempts to establish a connection with the network. Your workstation sends out a special broadcast packet (known as a BOOTP request) that is received by all devices connected on to the same subnet - asking for where to find DHCP services. A function running on the gateway interface (known as a BOOTP forwarder) responds to that packet by sending a request to the DHCP server - which in turn responds by providing your workstation with several key pieces of information. Specifically, it provides it with the IP address it should use - as well as where to look for critical services (such as DNS).

If your workstation is not picking up the DNS server automatically - there's a good chance you're not getting an IP address either. Confirm that you're getting an IP address (as well as your preferred DNS server addresses and gateway addresses) by initiating a command window - and executing a IPCONFIG /ALL command. The response should tell you what IP address has been assigned to your workstation - as well as the IP addresses of the DNS servers you're to use.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Archived