Samsung S2 Tablet

D&J

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung S2 tablet from Verizon and using it to replace my aging 4620 Jet Pack, it has a mobile hot spot built into it along with 4G. With 32gb of storage and 3gb of ram it should be a big improvement over my Tab 2. Has anyone used one for a hot spot.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I'd be concerned about a couple of things....I present this as things to think about....not as advice to NOT use the tablet.

1. Does the tablet support ALL of the Verizon bands being used, or just some of them? Because that makes a BIG difference in tower load management....if you can get on a newer band on a tower that is loaded you will get much better performance....plus the newer bands tend to have higher speed (natively).
  2. There is no antenna port. That can make a major difference.
  3. You are probably stuck with the capabilities of the device as bought. They rarely do software updates for the cellular....vs. a jetpack that may have more frequent updates for new radio bands, etc.
  4. The power may or may not be as good as a Jetpack.

Personally, I'd be looking at a 791 Jetpack.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It has the capability to connect to all the new bands, the only thing the hot spot would be used for is our Chrome Book,the old tablet to download books and the wi-fi side of my Tracfone. The Tracfone will be gone when the minutes are used and replaced with a Verizon smart phone.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

• 2 weeks later...

I made the switch but I didn't go with the Samsung, I went with a Verizon Ellipsis 8. I didn't like the 10" because of the size and the 49.99 price with a 2 year contract was hard to pass up. Its XLTE ready for the future or if you are in a big city but otherwise its 4G LTE only so if we are in a rare place where there's only 3G we will have to use the smartphone for a hotspot. The hotspot has a very strong signal and is very easy turn on and off and takes a short time to connect. Overall I'm very happy with the change but it's not for everyone.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Glad it worked out for you Denny, and thanks for the followup.

The XLTE is in more places than "big cities'. In fact I have it more than half the time no matter where I am in the country.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Does it show up as XLTE in the area where 4GLTE is displayed, I know here in Yuma we don't have it.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Decided to pick up the Moko slim from amazon also. Less than $10 to have it here by Tues. At that price, if I don't like it, I can protect my Tab S2 until I find something else.

I do want to check out the Samsung keyboard case as that may be an option or might just grab the LG Rolly keyboard.

Posted via the Android Central App http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/php-training-in-chennai.html | http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/vmware-training-in-chennai.html

Archived