Southern Hills RV Park and Campground, SD

ezdays

I believe this place just re-opened under new owners after being closed for several years. There is a much larger, 220 site, RV park just down the road and the previous owners had trouble competing.

This is a small park, about 30 sites, and a bit outside the main tourist areas. Its right off hwy 79 and road noise could be an issue at certain times. 79 gets a lot of truck traffic, and there is a small Flying J station just down the road. Its also right next door to a drive in movie, which the owners are trying to use as a marketing novelty, but could be annoying to some.

Its in the flat lands east of the actual Black Hills and Custer SP. So it gets HOT (frequent 90's) during summer months. Other than the hwy 79 traffic, its a quiet agricultural area, but close enough to Rapid City, Custer SP and the Black Hills attractions, to make convenient day trips. I used to own some property nearby.

Working in these private campgrounds, its all up to the owners & co-workers whether its a good or bad experience. I would try to feel them out during your interview and ask lots of questions; with a new owner you may just have to take a chance.

Jim

Thank you for the information and you're right about taking a chance. I read some of the reviews on this campground and it's funny that some people have said it was quiet and away from the highway. That's one question I will bring up. I'm use to the hot weather. I live in Virginia so it's very hot and humid during the summer -- can get up to 95 with 100% humidity. Appreciate your reply.

Archived