Telluride Town Campground

R. Walter

I'm curious if any fellow RVers have stayed in the town campground in Telluride, Colorado? Although they only have 25 or so sites the rates are very reasonable at $12 per day (seniors 59+) with hookups and electric (I believe). I've enjoyed it many times over the years in spite of the relatively high cost of living in Telluride. Don't rush there quite yet. Wait to late spring. It usually closes in mid-October. It is first-come, first-served.

We tried to get in a couple times but it was full. There are only about 10 sites for RVs. Instead, we stayed down the road at the forest service campground. Here's the web site:

http://www.telluride-co.gov/documentcenter/view/623

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I'm confused because the campground in Telluride doesn't have RV hookups at all, yet you said you'd stayed there and think it does.

It's also only for small rigs because of the size of the sites, the trees, and the roads within the campground. I can't remember where I saw it, but I recently read that your TOTAL length is limited to 30 feet, I believe, and that's the combination of tow vehicle AND trailer.

The brochure 2gypsies linked to says the camping fee covers only one vehicle and if you have a toad or a vehicle pulling a trailer, you'll have to pay an additional $7/day. The place is definitely designed for tents or maybe small campers.

I'm confused because the campground in Telluride doesn't have RV hookups at all, yet you said you'd stayed there and think it does.

It's also only for small rigs because of the size of the sites, the trees, and the roads within the campground. I can't remember where I saw it, but I recently read that your TOTAL length is limited to 30 feet, I believe, and that's the combination of tow vehicle AND trailer.

The brochure 2gypsies linked to says the camping fee covers only one vehicle and if you have a toad or a vehicle pulling a trailer, you'll have to pay an additional $7/day. The place is definitely designed for tents or maybe small campers.

There is additional free parking as you enter the campground for a second vehicle. Sorry, I don't dispute that many of the sites are small. I hope I haven't caused anyone to think that its suitable for large rigs. I've stayed there quite a few times in my small rig, but if you have a large rig "buyer beware".

When we were hoping to stay there we disconnected the Jeep and did a drive through and there were a couple sites our 40' would have fit. Overall, it's best for tents and small RVs. Would have been very convenient though.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 3 months later...

Archived