outside winter storage

I have a B touring motorhome and am now located in the U.P. of Michigan and was wondering what would be the best thing to do to prepare my Rv for winter (outside of moving back to Florida)?. Inside storage is not an option up here so how hard would it be on the rv to sit outside? Do the fabric rv covers work well or are they a waste of money? Draining the water system and removing batterys is the norm I know. Any information on outside winter storage would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

If you use a cover beware of moisture trapped under it and make sure it can't flap in the wind and leave a worn spot on your paint or trim.

Aside from the water and batteries you probably should put something under the tires to keep them dry, plastic cutting boards, cheap or old ones work well.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Fill the gas tank and use a stabilizer additive. I also like to leave a vent slightly open if it has vent covers. Finally I leave the refrigerator and feezer doors open. Don't forget the drain traps. Before winter would be a good time to check the caulking and roof. For the reasons Stan mentioned I am not a fan of covers but some like them.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Besides the roof, check the caulk around the windows. I once stored an RV outside in WI. for the winter. All was OK except the melting snow ran down the sides of the RV and one window was not caulked around well. The water leaked in and later I had delamination of the fiberglass below that window. Also mice can be a problem.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived