Picked up a HP Pavilion 23 yesterday. It's an all in one computer that I have been watching at the local BJ Wholesale clubs for months.

Friday after work my laptop finally gave up the ghost after the liquid spill last year. (Well at least that's what I thought.) I turned it on after getting home from work and all was fine. Started checking here and there and suddenly I got black screen like I forgot to plug it in and the battery died. Checked and it was plugged in, power on but the computer would start to boot up and then shut down. After multiple times I just unplugged everything and started again in the morning. Left it plugged in for several hours while doing other things and nothing changed so went out and got the HP. It's up and running now and maybe this time I will be able to navigate Windows 8.1 a little better.

Pulled the battery from the laptop and plugged the power to the unit and it will boot up and work for most things. I tried to do a quick backup to my external hard drive but apparently it needs too much power and the computer started with it's shut down and start up again. Hopefully it didn't compromise my data on the portable. Now it seems I will have to locate my Neat disc to install in the new computer and then I will be able to use my flash drive back up of info from there to transfer to the new PC. Wish me luck.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On the laptop, sounds like you have a faulty temp sensor. Give this a try:

If you have the frozen athletic cooler packs, set the laptop on them being careful to not block any intake airflow. Let them sit for a bit, 10-15 minutes, then try doing your backup. This won't fix the problem but may just allow you to finalize any backup you are attempting.

Got this one from an IT tech AFTER I had spent $100 for the shop to "recover" my data.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

On the laptop, sounds like you have a faulty temp sensor. Give this a try:

If you have the frozen athletic cooler packs, set the laptop on them being careful to not block any intake airflow. Let them sit for a bit, 10-15 minutes, then try doing your backup. This won't fix the problem but may just allow you to finalize any backup you are attempting.

Got this one from an IT tech AFTER I had spent $100 for the shop to "recover" my data.

Thanks, might try it. Have always had a fan support running under the laptop. Did unplug thinking it was drawing too much power. I do have several bricks from temperature sensitive shipping coolers in the freezer.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Regarding moving data. I bought a case with electronics that converts a laptop hard drive to an external drive. Took the HD out of the old laptop, put it in the case and plugged it into a USB port on the new computer. Then transferred data easily with minimum fuss.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I have an HP G-72. I get the dreaded Blue screen every so often. I got a Targus Computer Cooling Mat Dual Fan. Several years ago. I have still gotten the Blue Screen, but not as often. I just take the battery out of the computer. let it sit and cool off and then restart the lap top. The HP runs a lot cooler now. Well worth the $19.95 I spent on the Cooling Mat.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

Archived