Air brakes on your 5th Wheel?

Carol2c

I know it can be done. When we picked up our new unit at Forks RV they were finishing a unit for a friend and it had air brakes and air suspension. For details you might call Jay Troyer at Forks RV Shipshewanna IN, he is in charge of Sales and Marketing. Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

You are likely confusing air brakes with air actuation of hydraulic brakes. The brakes on the RV remain standard Dexter (or Kodiak) hydraulic disc brakes. The truck air system is used with a brake actuator that converts the air pressure to hydraulic pressure. Thus the term commonly used as "air/hydraulic" (air over hydraulic) actuation. I've installed (now) a dozen or so of these systems, and trained New Horizons in their installation and use. The custom RV manufactures put them on fairly routinely, because they are building large heavy trailers pulled by class 7/8 tractors that have air systems. So Forks, New Horizons and Spacecraft will all install these on their custom trailers for the customer. Most other manufacturers will not and you would have to have them installed aftermarket. Which is not all that difficult, generally.

I've done several presentations on these systems at the HDT Rally. Look HERE for a PDF of one that you can download. If you have issues with the presentation just let me know.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Forks does both, we have a BluDot system on our new rig. The rig they did for Walt had full air brakes with S-cams and drums like on a semi trailer. He said they work fine when I asked him about them. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Archived