School me on batteries

Wow you have a system to die for.

Just another observation.

Over the years Sams has changed battery mfg a few times. I have never notice any difference in performance in any of them. As I said for years I used them in 3 systems and did so for maybe 30 years on some.

Sometimes costs are more related to the amount of profit the seller is making.

I cannot recall any I have ever used failing faster than the other. Except when I dropped a wrench on them. :)

One other thing. For years on my boats I have used golf cart batteries as starting batteries. Again never a problem and they still kept their life.

I had one with twin 305 Chevy engines. Had that boat for in Michigan and then in Florida. I wanted to have my batteries do something except start so I combined both start and house bank. As I said it was never a problem. So much for not using them for starting. One key to that I think is have a larger than normal battery bank.

This year I am going to do the same thing with my twin diesel boat. No separate banks. Just one and the diesels start on the first turn. I don't expect to have a problem. I do have a backup plan if the worst happens and I run the batteries dead. I have a backup 2400W Yamaha hand starting genny. It will power my 100 amp charger and it will get me going.

In over 50 years of boating I have never found myself with dead batteries and I monitor them carefully.

There is so much information about batteries and I find in the real world a lot of it is not correct. Lots of I thinks and guesses and theories which always overrule real world experience. <_<

Personally I have always tried something and have been willing to eat a mistake if it doesn't work. It is surprising how often it does work.

Doug

Just to clarify with the box store batteries and other market brands.. it's true that they change labels/brands from time to time, however, nearly all are manufactured by the same company (Johnson Controls). Only the labels of the aftermarket retailers are different which may be why you see very little difference in performance.

I can't really comment on the rest.. I've never run across a wet cell battery still functional after 30 years of use. ;)

Reed's system is a marvel. If I only had a rooftop that was laid out better I could maybe manage another 300 watts but I could never get to his capacity (or afford the battery bank). But his system - and his experiences with it - show us lesser mortals how it could be in a future in which we've won a lottery. :P

I am hoping that by the time the DW can retire (October, 2017) the battery situation for RV will be more affordable. Of course, it's entirely possible that the Tesla battery phenomenon might encourage so many people to go that direction that there will be a shortage and the prices will go UP.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We just cut a couple of templates of the 235 W solar panels (fancy term for a couple of pieces of cardboard) and laid them about the top of the rig (a 34' Open Range 5th wheel). Had to be sure that the panels would not be shadowed by the air conditioner and other rugosities. Went on roof a while back and found that we could put another two panels and possibly three but have not been able to convince ourselves that it is necessary except to run the air conditioning 100% on panels but figure we shall just avoid those hot spots as much as possible.

The following is deja vu. The six panels are set up in two strings of three in series so that the power comes off the roof at 90 V. This permits lower power losses and smaller cabling. The LFP battery bank is 48 V nominal (54.6 V at full charge) with a capacity of 9.6 kW-hrs.

Costs of LFP should drop drastically over the next several years. The Tesla bank is 10 kW-hrs capacity and is touted to cost around $3,500, which is slightly more than half of what we paid for our bank two years ago. I have been following all fora that I can find on LFP and have found no one who is unhappy that they have gone this route. A few have destroyed their battery suites through over-charging but they accept responsibility. Our system came with a battery management system designed for electric cars and is not optimum for RV usage (which have much higher power output - We have trialed the batteries by running microwave and air conditioning simultaneous on batteries which drained at around 3.0 kW).

Reed and Elaine

dmcb, WOW do I understand you got 30 years out of a battery?? If so that's good. As I noted before a battery has x number of life cycles (draw down and discharge) but if they are kept properly charged (especially so called smart 3/4 stage charging), not allowed to sit long periods in a low discharge state, and not allowed to become overly sulphated, less life cycles are used up and longer life is the result. People who take care of and charge and maintain batteries are well rewarded.

Like you, when I was a used Truck/Tractor/RV dealer and farming at the same time (had and used a ton of batteries) I might stick a Deep Cycle battery(s) in a truck or tractor and might use a Starting Battery as a deep cycle and I didn't have any problems. But I didn't own and use then that way for years at a time lol as its certainly NOT the recommended use (even if it works).

Of course, however, the two are designed and constructed for two very different purposes. The Deep Cycle and its plates are designed and built for a typically lower amperage yet deep discharge while a starting battery is designed and built to deliver high amperage for relatively shorter periods. Even if they indeed "work" in the wrong application, my engineers brain as well as experience shows their retained capacity and longevity as well as better performance is achieved if used as they were designed for.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and have the funds, I use Deep Cycle batteries for their designed and intended application and similar for my starting batteries. Still, having been camping all over the US and attended Bus Meets and all sorts of rallys, IVE SEEN IT ALL as far as the choice and use of batteries even if NOT whats recommended. Its their money, their RV and their choice, fine by me.

Very fun discussion, thanks

John T

Archived