Using Ford tow mode while towing a Toad?

Phil Saran

Hope I am placing this question in the right location.

We have a 2015 Thor Hurricane w/ V10/auto W/tow mode on the transmission.

I know to use the Tow Mode while towing my toad, but what about down shifting

to 2nd or even 1st while climbing hills?

My toad weights about 4000 lbs and I am looking at Hwy 70 headed East through

the Lincoln Tunnel between Denver and Vale which is about 9000 ft.

My old Ford truck diesel with auto w/tow mode was easy, want to climb a hill

just push down on the gas pedal a bit more no downshifting needed. This while

towing a 30 ft TT.

Any input or comments welcome.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

I had a Ford V-8 truck w/tow mode on the automatic tranny. I would not worry about using tow made unless I feel the tranny "searching" in and out of overdrive at cruising speed. As for manually downshifting when climbing steep grades, I do that with my diesel to control the rpm/prevent the tranny from upshifting in order to keep the rpm up to prevent the engine from lugging down and overheating.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I had a Ford V-8 truck w/tow mode on the automatic tranny. I would not worry about using tow made unless I feel the tranny "searching" in and out of overdrive at cruising speed.

We were fulltime in a Ford chassis motorhome for nearly 12 years and this is exactly what I did, on the advice of the Ford Chassis hot-line advisers. When descending a steep grade, I also kept the O/D locked out and used gearing to control speed to a level which allowed me to use braking only once every 5 or so minutes, then applying the brake sharply to drop speed by 10/15 mph and then allowing it to slowly creep back up. It it took too frequent braking, drop to a lower gear after the sharp braking event.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The current Ford automatic transmission (5-speed Torqshift) was introduced in 2003 and is a completely different animal than the prior transmission. There is no lock-out for the OD. The only choice you have is Tow/Haul mode or not. I had a 1999 Superduty Truck with the V-10 (old transmission) and now have a 2010 Superduty Truck with the V-10 (new transmission), and by far the greatest difference between the two is the transmission.

Once you select the Tow/Haul mode on the transmission you shouldn't have to worry about doing any manual upshifting or downshifting. When climbing hills the Tow/Haul mode will do a good job of selecting the correct gear, and will typically hold that gear without hunting. On descents the system will lock the torque converter and do a good job of selecting the gear for descending. What you will need to do is press the brake as you begin the descent to "signal" the transmission to downshift to hold the vehicle speed. If the speed increases press the brake again and the transmission will again downshift to hold speed. Do not be concerned if you see the engine turning 4000 - 5000 rpm, as the V-10 is made to turn those speeds with no issue.

With a motorhome I'm not sure why you would not be in the Tow/Haul mode, even without the toad. There is no disadvantage to it as far as I can see.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thank you for the responses.

Mark thank you for your input. I did not think about using tow/haul mode without the toad.

I guess my biggest worry was pulling the 4000 lb toad up to 9000 ft. to go through the tunnel

(Continental Divide).

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

When I am not pulling my trailer I do not use the tow/haul mode because I am too light (8000 pounds +/-) and the engine compression braking with tow/haul on is jarring at that weight. But we just descended a long 5-6% grade this morning with the trailer hooked up, and once again I was so impressed with how well the truck holds the speed on descent without using the brakes. I am thinking that with the weight of your motorhome always there (with or without the toad), that the tow/haul mode should always be on to help with climbing and descending.

As far as climbing the pass I think you'll do fine. Just realize that you are really going to be spinning (like 3750 - 4500 rpm) on the way up. The V-10 is designed to turn high rpms in these climbing situations and will do so all day long. Mileage won't be great, but you'll get much of that back on the descent!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I found with my dually ( GMC duramax ) that the transmission ran cooler with the truck in tow haul mode even bobtailing. Yes the engine braking was a little harsher but I liked the tranny to run cool.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We have the 2006 Ford V-10 with the tow mode. I use it constantly both up and down hills. It searches less in tow mode. The important thing to remember is to keep the RPM's up as the V-10 loves the high RPM's. I often drive by the tach and watch that closely. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived