Solar Panel Heat

I am wondering how much heat is generated from the bottom of solar panels? Is it enough to use as a solar water heater by stringing black pipe under the panels? A few years ago I made a solar heater for a friends pool that circulated 300 gallons of 140 degree water twice a day in his pool. If solar panel generate enough heat it would reduce propane use and add to boondocking time. Thanks, Kurt

Solar panels are dark and don't "generate" heat as much as become hot from the sunlight. You would be counting on heat transfer between the bottom of a panel mounted on stand-offs and the solar heater.

I have two Unisolar 69-watt "peel-and-stick" panels and two solid 240-watt panels on my rooftop. When I point a Harbor Freight laser heat sensor at the inside of the roof I can tell where the glued-down panels are (hottest), where there are no panels (cooler), where the standoff-mounted solid panels are (coolest).

But I don't think you could put a "solar heater" under a solid panel and have it get as hot as it would get if it were in direct sunlight. After all, it's in the shade.

Craig

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

You'd get some reasonably hot water, not as hot as directly using the sun for heat though. A side gain would be that your panels would be cooler and if you had an MPPT controller it would make a tiny bit more power.

Downside would be more thermal stress on your panels as your cold water hit the back of them unevenly.

I'd guess it would be a fun project but not really practical.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived