Jump to content

Class A motorhome


Recommended Posts

It depends upon the state it's registered in and then *that* depends upon the size of the Class A motorhome. In WA you don't need any special license at all. In Texas if your motor home is heavier than a maximum size then you need a non-commercial license. This web site explains it better: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml



1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several states use anything over 26,000# as the point at which an enhanced drivers license. And it isn't just motorhomes, but also some 5th wheels/truck combos that exceed 26,000# and the trailer exceeds 10,000#.


State of California uses length of motorhome - anything over 40 ft. requires an upgraded license.


So first step is to determine what is required in your state.



Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

New York, over 26K # requires "R" endorsement on your license, which you earn by driving my 45' through secondary city "car road" course. Plus demonstrate you can parallel park the rig. I am in strong favor of a two day Federal safety class, just like the two day motorcycle program and road test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are required to get an "air endorsement " here in Alberta if the MH has air brakes....thats all. Its the same course that truckers have to take.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University


Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Dish For My RV.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Rv Share

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo

  • Create New...