Pulling Batteries

Bobq21

Hi All, just a quick question, if I pull the house batteries from my fifth wheel for maintenace (cleaning the storage compartment) will it interfere with the operation of the coach?
Thanks,
Bobq :rolleyes:

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

It would depend on the nature of your converter. Personally, to be safe and not worry about hot cables, I'd unplug the converter before pulling the batteries. An hour without DC power shouldn't hurt anything and it will be safer. Of course, be sure you know which cable goes to positive and which to negative. Mark one of the connectors if it isn't obvious.

Russ

Your DC circuits would be run by the charger/converter if you pull the house batteries. Depending upon the converter, you may end up with higher voltage that would be good for your electrical devices. I would do as Russ (It's About Time, above) suggested and unplug or trip the breaker on the charger/converter.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Good answers, but be very careful with water as there will still be 12V power in there from the converter. The refrigerator, furnace, water heater and water pump all need 12V in order to operate. When I have done that job, I usually just disconnect all power for the hour or so that it requires.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Better safe than to worry! Unplug.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I'd unplug too, safer and less hassle for a short cleanup project.

If you think it may be longer term without the batteries connected figuring out your converter type is a good idea, many newer converters are happy to run your low power 12 volt stuff with no batteries. Running jacks or slides may be iffy with smaller converters that depend on the batteries to supply the high currents needed.

Sticking the hot battery lead in a plastic pill bottle and adding a few wraps of electrical tape to keep it inside is a good idea if you want to remove the batteries and run off converter power. An accidental short can lead to big sparks and a fried converter if the converter's internal fuses aren't quick enough.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I had our rig on only the converter for over a week when I rebuilt the basement area and turned the battery tray area into a storage drawer for our small generator. To be safe I taped over the cable end and tied them up out of the way. No problems.

Later,

J

PS Our converter is a Progressive Dynamics 9280.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Hey thanks for all the responces, I think I will just unplug as it should not take that long (hope).
Thanks again,
BobQ :rolleyes:

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Archived