Is this an ok computer deal

RVRoadie

A friend asked me for advice on this computer. She has a dinosaur running Vista that barely functions. I would describe her as a casual user. I only know Apple these days, so just haven't kept up.

I assume this will be a big improvement for her, but if anybody has other suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Thanks

About this item

This reliable, value-packed laptop PC combines the features you need to get the job done and a sleek, thin design you can easily take on the road.

HP 15.6" 15-f085wm Laptop PC Bundle: $389

Key Features and Benefits:

• AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 APU processor
    1.50GHz, 2MB L2 Cache
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 500GB SATA hard drive
    Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Watch movies and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • 10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC
  • 15.6" HD BrightView WLED-backlit touchscreen display
    AMD Radeon HD 8330 Graphics

Additional Features:

• Built-in VGA webcam
  • SD memory card reader
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x headphone/microphone combo jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x HDMI port
  • 3-cell lithium-ion battery
  • 5.67 lbs, 15.18" x 10.16" x 0.97"

Software:

• Genuine Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Edition
  • McAfee LifeSafe (180-day subscription)
  • HP Recovery Manager

Support and Warranty:

• 1-year limited hardware warranty with toll-free technical support
  • Restore discs are not included (unless specified by supplier). We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore and backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

Sold 1995 Travel Units custom 34' 5th, Off the Road, in The Villages FL
Traded 2005 F350 PSD C/C FX4 with TowBoss for a new 2008 Mustang GT

This will be a tremendous upgrade for her. It is a pretty good price, but it does have Win 8.1. This is VERY different from VISTA. The first thing you should do with any new PC she gets is to install Classic Shell so she will have a Start Menu again as Win 8.1 does not have the traditional Start Menu and she will be totally lost.

It has a descent sized HD, pretty good amount of RAM memory, does have a built in DVD burner. I am not a fan of any McAfee product. If it was me I would uninstall the trial version of McAfee Life Safe and install a good AV product. There are several very good free apps available. AVG and Avast are just 2 such apps. A Bing search will show reviews and download sites.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

If you don't need that much machine or Win 8 you can get some really good deals on refurbished computers from NewEgg.com that come with Win 7. The Lenovo and HP small form factor ones are great and are starting at $100 for a nice dual-core Intel processor, you get a really nice one for $140 or so. They also have full sized tower systems at good prices but most folks just don't need one that big.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived