Article on recruiting is interesting and a bit scary too

skp51443

This is about the reserves but it applies to active duty as well.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/16/army-reserve-candidates-tattoos-obesity-prescripti/

The majority of potential Army reservists are either hooked on prescription drugs, have too many tattoos, are overweight or have mental conditions that prohibit them from joining the military, recruiters say.

Seven out of 10 applicants — who return to their civilian lives after training, but can be called into active service at any time — fail to meet Army Reserve standards on “mental, moral and physical reasons,” said Capt. Eric Connor, U.S. Army Reserve Command spokesman.
The problem affects the broader service as well. According to Army Recruiting Command statistics compiled last year, 71 percent of young people wanting to join the military would fail to pass service tests because of their physical, moral or cognitive shortcomings.

Something not mentioned is how some of our current policies would impact a draft if one was ever needed.

So you pulled number three in the draft lottery? No problem, head down to get a tattoo on your forehead (pay for the easily erasable inks) and light up a joint so you flunk the drug screen. Really worried see your friendly local doctor and pick up a bottle of something really strong for your "bad back pain" and take a couple the morning you are going to be tested.

Beats trying to find a sharp looking dress in big/tall like was needed back in my day. :-)

Discrimination-5.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I didn't need an article to tell me something I already knew. I do not want to caste anything negative against women in the miltary but realistically pregnancy can be an issue also. This can be a real issue. When I supported Army Reserve units I was really concerned aout the moms being called up with children. One I know had a 15 year old daughter and a 19 year old son that was paroled to her home when she was called up for Desert Storm. Reluctantly I took on the job of keeping them fed and out of trouble while she was gone. Even for me a few years earlier, I had to assign my mom legal authority for my kids as I was a single parent in the reserves in case I was called up.

We really have a mess on our hands potientially.

I didn't mean the first statement derogotorially more like deja vu.

Archived