Independent RV purchase consultant?

knb53

8 hours ago, knb53 said:

Consumer Reports rates used Dodge Ram pickup trucks pretty highly. Any thoughts for this as a tow vehicle? 2WD vs 4WD? 1500 vs. 2500? Used 1500s are more plentiful and cheaper... and the TT I'm looking at has a UVW of 4985 lbs and a CCC of 1563 lbs.

We tow our travel trailer with a 2003 Dodge diesel, 2500 (3/4 ton) truck and we love it as a tow vehicle. Ours is a 4 door, crew cab medal with a 6' box. When you look to weight that you will be towing, you need to consider GVWR which should be the total of what you have posted, or 6548#. It is always wise to keep your normal weight being towed to 80% or less of the truck's tow rating because you will find it much more comfortable to drive and it will handle better. I have owned 4 different 4WD vehicles over the years but would not recommend one as a tow vehicle for most use. If you expect to spend a lot of time in muddy situations or plan to go off road, then perhaps. It is important to know that not only does it cost more to buy a 4WD model, it also costs more to maintain one, to insure it, and you get lower MPG. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for this... I was questioning myself re. whether I really need a 4x4... could probably get a nicer truck for same money if I didn't, and truthfully I don't see many situations where I'd need it. How do you like the diesel? I know there are some pros... mileage, engines last virtually forever... but what about maintenance? Thanks!

One issue you might run into with a Ram 1500 is cargo capacity, and that depends on the model you get.  I once looked at a Laramie, about all the bells and whistles you can get, and it’s cargo capacity was only 18 lbs more than the Jeep Grand Cherokee that was the marginal TV I had at the time.  That wouldn’t work as I was also planning on adding both tongue weight and items I was going to put in the trailer, so I ended up buying a Ford F-150 with less bells and whistles and more cargo capacity.

I’ve heard from others who drive diesels that maintenance is higher.  I don’t have any direct knowledge of that as I’ve only owned gas engines.  I’ve also heard that they (the engines) are heavier, which could cut into your cargo capacity also.  I’m quite happy with my new over-kill (for my current TT) truck, an F350.  I’m not complaining about having too much truck as I’m also thinking of replacing my trailer, too.

4x4 cuts down on your cargo capacity, and depending on whether it has an AWD setting, you may be limited to only using it on dirt roads.  My F150 had AWD in addition to 4x4 and it was nice to use when I was on an uphill dirt road pulling onto a paved road.  Occasionally the back wheels would lose traction and having power to the front wheels makes that less likely to happen.  My F350 has a transfer case, so it’s 4WD is limited to the dirt, mud and snow.

Best thing to do is to choose the trailer first, then the truck, something I didn’t do (bought the Jeep with a vague idea that I might get a trailer and no idea how limiting the Jeep was as far as a TV).  And if possible, choose a TV that is over-rated for the trailer.  While my F150 was not marginal for my trailer and was perfect when I was part-time, when I went full-time I started hitting the F150’s GVWR - I have too much stuff.  I now tow with an F350 and don’t worry about what I’m carrying.

13 hours ago, knb53 said:

How do you like the diesel? I know there are some pros... mileage, engines last virtually forever... but what about maintenance?

While I do enjoy the diesel, I don't know that I would buy one if shopping new for only occasional towing. I bought mine from a neighbor/friend that I had known since it was new and because of our long relationship, I was sold it for wholesale price. The truck was 12 years old at that time and had 98k miles but was a 1 owner truck, that had been purchased by a retired owner of 4 18 wheel trucks. I knew the history well and was given a very attractive price in return for having helped the widow for several years and I had driven the truck numerous times before. 

For towing the diesel has many benefits because of the higher torque and under load it gets better fuel mileage than a gasoline powered truck would. But the maintenance costs are significantly more than the gasoline powered tow vehicles that we have owned in the past. That is even more true with an older truck than it would be if new, but the purchase price of a diesel is also significantly more. Because our diesel is a second vehicle that is used mostly for towing, I really like it but if we should sell our RV the truck will go as well because of the higher costs of maintenance. If you will be using the truck for towing half or more of the use, then I would recommend going with diesel but if you use it mostly as a daily driver then the gasoline if probably a better choice. The gasoline SUV that we towed our travel trailer with at first would get about 22 mpg without the trailer (highway mileage) and towing it averaged 11 mpg and at times it was a chore to drive. With the diesel truck we get about 18 mpg when on the highway without the travel trailer, and we get about 14 mpg with it and we hardly notice that it is back there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for this... Yes, I definitely think going with a 3/4 ton would be a real plus... About 20+ years ago I had a TT briefly and tried towing it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee... Was not a match made in heaven! Even though technically I was well within the towing capacity of the Jeep with this trailer, it was a chore, and I felt like I was abusing the poor Jeep on hills.

Given that I don't anticipate being anything near a full-timer (more of a hopefully somewhat frequent vacationer), I'll probably stick to gas vs. diesel... not only the expense of maintenance, but I just don't know anything about how to take care of a diesel. If it was really important I guess I could learn... but I think gas will be fine for what I'll be doing.

Btw, Kirk & Pam, I enjoyed looking at your website. My old family farm is about 10 miles from Swan Lake... Just a couple miles west of Avalon/Bedford on the gravel road. The postal code was Hale, MO. My great uncle was born in the house that still stood until about 15 years ago in 1880, the youngest of 7 boys all born in that little one bedroom frontier home. I spent a lot of time up there with him during the summers as a kid/teenager. He lived until the ripe old age of 93, and was still driving at 90! Also, I'm prior Air Force, so enjoyed your soldier's story. 

I sure appreciate y'all's help!

Keith