New to RV ing

ken64k

Coachman was an independent company when this one was built, having been taken over by Forest River in December of 2008.  NADA Guides lists that coach as having an averate retail of $26,445. Having poked about a little in researching that coach, I found this ad on RV Trader which I suspect may be the RV you are considering. Coachman used to be a respectible company with a pretty average reputation in those years but fell victem to the difficult economic times for the RV industry, as did many other manufacturers. I would be somewhat concerned about the very low mileage for an RV that is now 12 years old. It could be a true bargain but unless you happen to be an RV expert, I would definately have it professionally inspected before you put any money down. It has an EDPM roof so the condition is of critical importance. With such low mileage it probably has the original tires and while they may look good, they will probably blow out if you travel very far on them at highway speeds. I would plan to replace all of them if they are more than 5 years old, which you can check by looking at the DOT date code on each tire. A professional inspector should check them all for you. The tires are 245/70R19.5 so expect to pay about $300 or more per tire. 

If you would share a bit more specific about this RV and about yourself and how you would use the RV we can probably give you better advice. If you have not yet looked at it, I would at least look it over. When you do that, you might be wise to take a copy of this check list with you to use as a guide.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk has given you some pretty good advise, especially about the low miles.  RV dealers love to "brag" about low miles on older units because they know unsuspecting new buyers think it is a good thing.  In reality when the miles are too low it usually means the unit just sat in some local campground and was never really used, which can be hard on the engine, chassis, and generator.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

14 hours ago, ken64k said:

We are looking to buy a use 2007 COACHMEN MIRADA 300QB. The unit is in good condition with a little over 9000 miles. I'm looking for any feed back good or bad on Coachmen RV's.

Thank you

Ken

Service history?  Miles way too low, not even 1k.per year.  You’re going to need new tires, new batteries, all new fluids, filters, and hoses and then there are the House portion to look at for wear.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thank you all for the very good information. I think I'm going to pass on this one as it could cost a lot more if I reall have to start replacing a lot of stuff that look good but isn't do to age.

A little back ground on us. We are getting out of boating as our 32 ft cabin cruiser is getting to much to handle. We are both in our 70's. Looking to get a RV and do a good amount of traveling around the US and southern Canada.

ken64k - as you likely know diesels are self oiling for long term storage, but the fuel on board could have algae growth and some condensation in the tank. A sample procedure might be a good thing if the coach has been sitting for a long period.

The seller can likely explain the low mileage/year - there are rvs around our community that would hardly do 1000 miles a year - trips to a seasonal lot at a lake, short trips to fairs and rodeos, changes in life situations, health issues, someone passes away etc etc.

1000 miles a year done 100 miles a month is better vs sitting unstarted for 3 years ...

But sitting in a dry shed out of the sun and dew and rain is not a disaster necessarily...

Allison transmissions have a big diameter seal in the front that does not like sitting for years. When put back in service they start to leak which = a removal of the trans to replace the seal.

Axle gear cases can get surface rust on bearings and gear teeth from condensation if not operated once in a while. Synthetic gear lubes do not like water contamination.

Good hunting....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

3 hours ago, ken64k said:

Looking to get a RV and do a good amount of traveling around the US and southern Canada.

While it will cost more initially, I would suggest an RV that is no more than 5 years old to start with as it is most likely going to cost less to get started. Motorhome tires very seldom wear out from treadwear, but rather the get too old and become a danger for blowouts at highway speeds. Most manufacturers recommend replacYou eing them somewhere between 5 and 10 years of age because sitting in one place can be very damaging. Modern tires are compounded to stay flexible from the heat and flexing that cones with use which keeps them pliable. I know of no tire manufacturer who will honor the tire mileage guarantee for any longer than 10 years and many are shorter than that. In addition, belts, hoses, and other rubber compound items will fail with increased age. RV appliances usually last about 10 years when under constant use but that time period can be greatly extended by light or seasonable use and may even last the life of the RV in such circumstances. If you buy an RV that is 10 years old or less you will have the option of buying an extended warranty to cover major repairs but most companies will not cover an RV that is more than 10 years old. You can read more about this type of coverage in this article if you are interested. If you have no experience with RVs I suggest that you try and find an RV show to go through in order to get a feel for what is available. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI