WARNING VERIZON

jbh

Verizon cannot/will not activate my BR-1 on the new prepaid plan. AT 2pm it was fine, after switching it's "not compatible."  They tell me my three-year-old device is too old and they'll just send me a new jetpack. That's all well and good but they don't have a clue between a BR-1 with BoatANTs and a jetpack. We're in so many fringe areas we wouldn't have internet two-thirds of the past three years otherwise.

That was after two CSRs assured me that it would be switched just fine.

I'll update when something changes.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I have a Peplink BR-1 Cellular Mobile Router that I put a Verizon Sim card into, but that sim card originally came in a Verizon supplied device. I wouldn't expect them (Verizon) to support the use of their sim card in (or even know the specifics of) a Third-party modem/router. 

Hopefully when they send you a new device you'll be able to transfer the sim card, but I would check with Peplink to see if their software will support it. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thinking about this a little more, If you still want to pursue using your existing Sim I would imagine that you would need to remove it from your BR-1 and put it back into whatever device Verizon originally provided. Once it's back in the original modem use VZ Access Manager to update the modem/Sim. 

Once that device updates correctly you may be able to move the Sim back into the BR-1 and have it work. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Verizon provided me the sim _three years ago_ that worked in my BR-1, and as of 2pm this afternoon it was specifically listed on my account and it was working. It was never in another device. A short time later, after the promised migration to the prepaid unlimited plan, that sim no longer works and my device is listed as not compatible.

Note that I have a solid 4G LTE connection stated as active internet and I go to verizonwiress.com  successfully only to be told it's not compatible. It's simply not compatible with their prepaid wireless, not  with the Verizon network. Verizon man speak with forked tongue. Supposedly I could go back to postpaid and it would suddenly magically be compatible.

This is an industrial/enterprise unit; I doubt a muncipal transport system, which it's certified for, puts up with this stuff.

I'm supposed to receive a hotspot Tuesday and I'll plug the sim in the BR-1. I'll let you know.

-C&J-

Interesting. I had no idea that Verizon sends out just the Sim to be placed in third-party devices. But I guess it makes sense as the BR-1 is definitely a commercial type router/modem that gets used in ATM's, etc. 

I'll be interested to hear how your upgrade goes. I am planning to jump on this same offer and would like it to work in my BR-1. But I was assuming I'd have to get the hotspot and then migrate the Sim over. 

Thanks for the info. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

The Verizon CSRs I talked with had not a clue what a BR-1 might be even after I explained that it was certified for railroad use. The line was "we have a new hotspot that's faster" and they didnt' hear anything about up in he mountains or down in the holler.

-C&J-

Archived