Couldn't Find It. Had To Build It. 2019 Spring TakeOff

Howdy.  I was here awhile back and rejoined in June.  We were looking for a dual axle short trailer for a one-year trip.  It's now a 2-year trip starting next May  (after that who knows?)  We ended up buying a cual axle Interstate cargo trailer because we found we could bring more if we were careful with the build.

We once had a small A-frame and loved it because we could easily drive in towns.  We are much bigger with a Silverado +19' (7 x 16 plus tongue) in place of the former minivan and 10' + 3' Chalet that folded flat, also bigger than the two Class B's we've had so we don't feel small.  We have a ramp door so if we are parked in good weather we can expand.  We have some things on wheels that can be rolled outside for more inside room.

We haven't yet taken a maiden voyage as we are still building it.  So far we are very happy with it and our decision.  It will be interesting if we still feel that way after 6 months of traveling.  The longest trip we've ever camped at was 30 days but have always planned to do this upon retirement, at least for awhile.

We did have a small Winnebago MH and didn't like the 8' wide and taller height sometimes, usually in the mountains.

We are turning it into an RV and not just a pull behind bed.  We got a 3-way 6.7 Cu FT Dometic and had the propane professionally installed.  We are putting in a small tub/shower.  The beds are 2 cots that the bottom part swings out of the way when you want to walk by and they can be made into loungers.  A window view will be perfect height when lounging or watching TV or eating directly across from that.  The other 3 windows will be higher but I want a good view for sitting in the winter storms.  Wayne and I used to put our tennis shoes on and sit with our feet against the wooden rail on the front porch during lightening storms.  I stay up most of the night in front of the Class B bay window when in the desert on a perfect starry night.  I am thinking about putting in a skylight but am afraid I might invite leaks - any thoughts on that one?  Not sure of the real estate either as we want to eventually add solar up there and already will be putting in a fantastic fan vent.  Might have to put the A/C up there as well because I am running out of space inside the trailer for a window A/C.  (2 of the windows are small awning-type louver windows).  A ramp door does take away an entire wall.

No photos yet.  The floor is in and we hope to finish the walls this weekend.  Still have to put insulation in the ceiling but appreciated the walls being insulated the moment they were finished.  Still need to do electrical.  Have oven which can be wheeled outside for cooking and not heating up the "house."

I've had disabilities for many years but my cane, walker and braces all fit in the trailer along with the heat packs, etc.  I think I'll need them less if I don't have to go up and down basement stairs to do laundry and try to take care of a large house and yard.  We got cots so we can get in and out without one climbing over the other and my two artificial hips think that's a great idea.  I've got memory problems but consider them better than they were 10 years ago and how many can say that as they grow older?

We can see around the sides of the trailers due to the7' wide and the truck windows extend to 8' wide from one edge to the last across.  Most of all I like having 4 tires on the trailer.  At least until it's time to replace them LOL.

Christine

Christine - 7x16 Cargo to RV Trailer In Progress

14 hours ago, RoadtripsAndCampfires said:

Thanks Linda.  I remember you from before, you are often helpful and thoughtful.  I always liked your castle.

Thanks. I miss my castle.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

38 minutes ago, RoadtripsAndCampfires said:

So do you still travel in the winter solo?  

Nope. All done traveling. I miss parts of it but am glad to be done with other parts--like dumping. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived