Yet Another Slide Question

daveward

For those who know something about slides....my 1998 Newmar Kountry Aire has a carpeted slide and when it retracts the rollers ride and end their travel on carpeted flooring.  This question is about air flow/air intrusion.  It appears to me that the carpet edges of the slide (when extended) when resting on the carpeted flooring provide some level of air flow protection...cold air entering  a warmed space, for example.  Now...if I remove all the carpet and replace it with wood there would appear to me to be more chance of air intrusion.  Is this correct, or does the slide seal in another way when it is extended?  For example, if I lift the loose edge of the slide's carpet when it is extended it appears that there may be a white rubber-ish seal that may be the answer to my question.  I hope that makes sense....thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully there are rubber seals on all four sides of you slide.  Its usually easy to see the left and right ones,  but there should be one at the top and one at the bottom to seal out air and water..  You are supposed to maintain them, some say with baby powder and others say Silicone.  I have used silicone on mine.  Only recently heard about the baby powder.  -Bill

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

We use 303 on the rubber slide seals as well as on the tires.

Same here,,,,, window seals also.  Never had problems with seals leaking air.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived