Furnace rattling

Perps

Hello everyone, I've got an Atwood 8525-II that has a loud rattling sound that comes and goes. Usually on start up then mellows out and comes back again. I can feel a bunch of play in the blower wheel when i fish my finger behind it and push on it. Is it the motor or the blower fan? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Mntom said:

I can't say for certain, but either way the furnace would need to come out. Once it is out you can determine which part is failing, but in my experience, if the blower wheel had that much movement it would not last long at all. More than likely the blower motor is failing.

Thanks for the reply Mntom! So the play is coming from the motor? Not the bearing in the fan? That's what I was confused about.

The bearing in the motor is what I am suspecting. They are a bronze bushing that gets some wear in it and allows the armature to bounce around. Once you pull the furnace you can tell what the problem is pretty easily!

Your blower wheel is mounted on the shaft of the armature so it is either the blower wheel or the bushings in the motor. The blower wheel would self destruct quite rapidly if it was moving that much.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I have also seen that problem caused by some sort of bug nest in the combustion air chamber. I would make sure that is clean before I began to replace parts. 

Excellent idea especially since the furnace would need to be removed for inspection. I never did ask, but exactly what do you mean by "a bunch of play"? Is it up and down or end to end?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

This rattling sounds like metal on metal or bearings coming apart. The play is up and down in the blower wheel. I would never think it to be from a dead animal or a nest but I also don't know a ton about the system. Just a visual/physical inspection from taking the outside access cover off and feeling around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived