Finding Spots in South

Hi, I am new here and am looking to start full time at the start of the year. I had hoped to find a workamping position in mid to southern Florida. I guess that maybe wishful thinking.  If I instead look to just rent a space from Jan-Feb is that a likelihood?.  Im having a difficult time to do any searches. Checking availability almost always requires a phone call and I do most of my research at night.  Is there a way to do a blanket search of an area for any kind of available spots. Thanks for any advise.

Curious Craig

Welcome to the Escapee forums.

I believe that you will find that most work camping positions are filled well before your January arrival date so you may not be successful this year but by starting your availability in late fall you should be able to find positions in the future. One of the best ways to find work camping jobs is through the magazine Workamper News

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, CuriousCraig said:

Hi, I am new here and am looking to start full time at the start of the year. I had hoped to find a workamping position in mid to southern Florida. I guess that maybe wishful thinking.

Not wishful thinking at all.  There are a few here.

http://workampingjobs.com/workampingjobs.php?sortby=dateadded DESC&state=FL

8 hours ago, CuriousCraig said:

My life as a full timer starts Jan 1st!!!

Congratulations on the coming lifestyle change and on the locating your first stop! Your early start clearly paid off. Did you get a work-camping position or will you be a guest in the park? We were never paid work-campers but we did more than 30 different "volunteer for a site" work-camping positions at parks and public facilities and we found it to be a great way to live!  A little nervousness is a pretty normal thing for most people because it is such and change always means a period of adjustment. Give yourself some time to adjust and keep busy and the day will arrive very quickly. Once out on the road, get out and about at every stop as RV folks are mostly very friendly and outgoing people who make friends easily if you avail yourself of that. When you start to worry, just remind yourself of the reasons you have chosen to take this route and keep following your dream! Many others have done this before and you can do it too!

Hey Kirk, 

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement.  

I will be a paying guest but I was happy to find a place and for a reasonable rate.  I have already reached out to the Save the Manatee group and have some volunteer duties lined up. I love the manatees and love supporting the efforts but also look forward to networking with others. 

13 minutes ago, CuriousCraig said:

I love the manatees and love supporting the efforts but also look forward to networking with others. 

Looking to the future, the US Fish & Wildlife Service manages a very large number of wildlife refuges and many of those have RV sites for resident volunteers. While we were fulltime we spent extended time on 9 different ones and several more than one season. For those loving the outdoors, this can be a great way to keep busy and involved while seeing the country. Most of them ask for 3 or 4 days work in return for a nice RV site and usually some other amenities. As it happens, there is a refuge for the manatees there in Florida as a friend of ours used to be the assistant manager there. You may want to check it out while you are in Florida this winter. 

Archived