Nervous but jumping in

Simmonsjn

10 hours ago, ToddF said:

Does anyone regret not investing in a house? Vs as my father puts it "throwing your money down the pit" ?

We have lived both ways and each one has its advantages. We bought our first house and the only custom built one when I was 24 and in the Navy. We moved to Denver and bought, then 3 years later bought in Cheyenne, moving to the country 11 years later. After 7 years we sold that and bought in Ft. Worth, where we lived 11 years before selling to go on the road. After 12 years we bought another home as we were unable to find a place to rent that we felt we would be happy in, even though we would have preferred to rent at this stage of life. Who knows what comes next? 

We broke pretty much even on the first, lost just a little on the second, then recovered pretty nicely on each of the others, if you base that strictly on the amount we paid on the principle compared to the cash we received when we sold each one. Add in things like interest, repairs, maintenance, and improvements, and who knows what it actually cost us. When we consider our motorhome for the fulltime period we recovered about 15% of what we paid for it but lost a little money if you deduct all of the maintenance and repair expenses while we lived in it as our only home. I guess we have a funny way of looking at things as we put no value in money beyond what it can supply to us. As long as we are able to fund the next adventure, the size of our bank balance is not important. We do believe in planning ahead, but when we look back we believe that we have had a great life and it was worth every cent it cost us! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 6:05 PM, Simmonsjn said:

Anyone out there who has gone that route care to share what your monthly expenses look like? Or anything we might not be considering? Or anything you would have done differently? 

Does anyone regret not investing in a house? Vs as my father puts it "throwing your money down the pit" ?

We are still sorta figuring out our monthly expenses and quite frankly haven't kept up with them regularly.  We sold our house and are fairly young, retired, full-timers(hubby in late 50's)as of 4/25/17.  When we sold our house we put our $ from the sale into a CD and we don't and won't touch it until we are ready to buy a house again.  I would have been hard-pressed to use our house $$$ to fund our lifestyle. We had to buy both 5th wheel and truck.  We have been fortunate, the truck is paid off and the RV almost paid off.  We know that both depreciate enormously when you drive them off the lot, but to us this was something we wanted to pursue.  I don't think I could do it with little kids, but you go!  

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

On 8/19/2017 at 9:37 AM, ToddF said:

If the goal was to not spend any money, we could all pitch tents on BLM land and stop shaving. 

I checked once and found out that you can't hitch a U-Haul to the hearse, so spend and enjoy! I am not a saver. I have no interest in competing to be the richest corpse in the graveyard. As long as my monthly expenses are covered, I'm good. I put a TINY amount aside as a dog medical emergency fun, but other than that, it I want a new guitar, I buy a new guitar. I am not in debt (12% credit utilization) and once I sell the house and dump the mortgage, I will be golden.  Well, gold plated, at least.... You got it right!!

42 minutes ago, Nomad Hiker said:

When we sold our house we put our $ from the sale into a CD

Say a prayer of thanks to whatever god you may believe in that you made money!! I will list in spring and just hope to get out even. I live in a HORRIBLE area with a bad reputation and houses here don't sell.

10 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Say a prayer of thanks to whatever god you may believe in that you made money!! I will list in spring and just hope to get out even. I live in a HORRIBLE area with a bad reputation and houses here don't sell.

Best of luck to you.  Yes, living in Iowa and moving to CA and selling as prices were going up sure helped.  God did bless us, and for that I'm thankful!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Archived