Maximum cable run for WiFi antenna cable

Smitty77_7

I have our WiFi Ranger Go (GO2 has just shipped, and on it's way.) in a coach bedroom cabinet.

I'm having a Winegard Sensar IV installed, and want to move the WiFi Range Bullet and the new omni antenna, to the Sensar IV. Will attach it to the arms, so that I can get it up a bit higher when the Sensar is raised.

To avoid shadows on the solar panel, the Sensar is being installed up over the driver seat. I expect the cable will need to run from between 40-45'.

Is this a no go as far as that long of a cable run from the Bullet back down to the GO2? (I'd need to rebuild and wire a front cabinet 'command post' if that is too long...)

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

No problem at all with that wire run. Ethernet wire can run up to 100 meters without an issue. However, at that length you would have voltage drop problems with the POE. But at under 100' there is no issue with voltage drop. There is plenty of power for any RV implementation.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack - I confess - I forgot it's Cat5!!!!

I've also been getting ready to move my roof cell phone antenna too, to allow more separation from when I have Gord's amp in place. That will now be about a 30', to again avoid shadows on the solar panels, and provide about 10' of separation from the amp cabinet. So had my mind on the antenna cable run!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty, 30' is pretty far for the typical cellular antenna cable. If I was going that far I'd be looking to upgrade the cable to LMR 200.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack - Fry's used to carry this, but like Radio Shack, their on the shelf stock has really been reduced. I can get a 30' run of it from Amazon if needed.

I used your WiFi Ranger 5% discount for my antenna purchase - should have just jumped on their special when the 8.5dBi first came out... Oh well. So I can buy the wife a small breakfast with savings... Got the 15% discount when I decided to upgrade from the Go to the Go2...

Excited for Gord. And sure hope I'm still on their waiting list for Maximum Signal's new amp.

I read your latest review on the Rouge Wave, thanks. (I suspect you enjoy doing these, but it does take time away from the day...)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived