RING in Mexico

PAylor

Hi all,

My husband and I would love to go to Mexico next year. We have been rving for 7 years. We've done adventurous trips including two Alaska trips (doing both the interior passage on the Alaska Marine highway and the top of the world highway).

We have always hesitated because of safety , both with the roads and criminals. We drive a 38 foot fifth wheel. We have never traveled in a caravan before and would rather not unless that's our only option.

Would love to hear thoughts, advice and experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I am the aforementioned telcoman and I sent you a message with more info.

You do basically have 2 choices, caravan, or on your own. I do recommend a caravan for first timers especially those towing. Roads down there have lots of hazards for those who do not know where they are going. I have RVed in Mexico for 10 years and am speaking from experience. You can easily get trapped with a trailer or 5th wheel. I got my experience with a truck & camper, so it was not an issue. I am assuming you do not like regimentation.That depends a lot on the caravan company and its wagon master. Myself, for example arrange a lot of ad hoc stuff using truck pools, not all will do that, many will. If you do it on your own you certianly need a copy of mexico camping by Mike & terry Church. Although it is now 5 years old and a bit dated, it is still invaluable.

I do have a website with lots of info for do it yourselfers. Its at http://www.mexicorvforums.com

Despite its title it is no longer a forum, just an info site.

A couple of pieces of advice re a 5th wheel. Consider changing your suspension shackles to the lubricated heavy duty variety. Mexico is full of Topes (speed bumps) and the cheap one they put on most RV's will wear quickly. See http://www.mexicocaravan.com/suspension.html

Those are mine after 3 seasons. Scary. I wa slucky my wife was flyign odwn and she bought a heavy duty Moreyde lubrictaed kit down plus soem standard replacement sjust in case. i ened up giving those standard rreplacement to another guy with a 5th wheel who had the same thing happen. Also it is impossible to find trailer tires down there and often light truck tires in the size you may need, so go to a tire store and buy an off rim spare, so you have 2 spares..

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

• 3 weeks later...

The company I am wagon master for is offering 15% off on its fall trip which I am leading (if it runs) . They need 4 rigs to make it viable. It nearly always is only about 4 -6 rigs and is a lot of fun as it adds a lot of flexibillty to go do extra free stuff out of the norm. (Assuming its a good group of people who want some adventure. (Last year for example we helped spring El Chapo out of jail, LOL). It leaves Nogales on Oct 21 and returns on Dec 15th. Signups are slow, so I offered to do it for just my fuel & tolls, and cut their costs down. I can also opt out of Copper Canyon and just let the guide take folks up there to reduce the cost, while I watch peoples dogs. I would rather be in sunny Mexico in Nov than rainy Vancouver. Anyways that cuts it down to less than $100 a day, not bad. They will barely break even.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Archived