RV Tours to Mexico for the April 8, 2024 total Solar Eclipse

Susan Nelson

Hello Paul, My husband and I have never travelled to Mexico, but would love to take our RV to the Torreon area for the eclipse. Family issues made us think we were not going to be able to see our 5th total solar eclipse, but now it looks like we've got the green light! Do you know of any caravan headed that way or a place to camp for a couple nights in that area?Thanks!  Susan

I'm not planning on crossing the border into Mexico, but will be in the North Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma area on that day. I've done a quick search of the cities mentioned of having a 3+ minute of Totality. You do gain to a potential 4 minute duration in Mexico. 

This will be my third Total Eclipse the first was in Hawaii on Oahu. The true totality was over  the Big Island (Hawaii). The skies were very clear and it was an early morning event. 

Next I was in Kansas City and thought I had a great place the skies clear until about 10 minutes before totality and then heavy clouds arrived and while it got "sort of dark" it was not as remarkable as a Sunny day no longer being sunny. 

I'm hoping for clear skies and minimal traffic for the event. My Meteorologists will be checking the weather patterns before an early morning departure to where the clear sky hopefully be. Good fortune to all who will be attempting to get a glimpse and I hope you will have your appropriate eye wear. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would avoid the border crossing hassle and vehicle insurance costs and reserve a site in Texas directly in the path of the blue line.  https://www.traveltexas.com/things-to-do/outdoor-adventure/great-texas-eclipse/#:~:text=If you're planning on,entertainment%2C lodging and dining options.

The path of totality in MX is in the state of Sinaloa, which is Mexico's most crime-ridden state.

This website is recommended for  tracking cloud cover on eclipse day. https://eclipsophile.com/eclipse-day-weather/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I would avoid the border crossing hassle and vehicle insurance costs and reserve a site in Texas directly in the path of the blue line.  https://www.traveltexas.com/things-to-do/outdoor-adventure/great-texas-eclipse/#:~:text=If you're planning on,entertainment%2C lodging and dining options.

The path of totality in MX is in the state of Sinaloa, which is Mexico's most crime-ridden state.

This website is recommended for  tracking cloud cover on eclipse day. https://eclipsophile.com/eclipse-day-weather/

Thanks for the links. I keep asking my Daughter about the plan, but so far TBD is about all I get. They are ordering some glasses soon. I had some I used back in the 1980's and actually found them when I was in KC, but didn't get a chance to really use them with the heavy cloud cover. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.