border crossing 2024

vacationer

Hi i no this has been talked about before by my experience this weekend was not good. I travelled south to ohio from ontario and crossed in windsor.

I was bobtailing this trip no trailer . I looked for the rv line and had 2 people waving at me saying wrong line. i then told them this is an rv now it took a bit for them to understand

so i went up to the booth explained and he understood kind of. Then they had to move big plastic barriers so i could get thru. Why in hell would they mark it rv line . Good thing it wasnt a 40ft diesel pusher. Coming back went thru erie same thing said iam in the wrong line because they dont see a trailer. But now at erie you have to pay a toll and no humans in the booth. you cant reach down to put the card in and they dont take cash. So i think from now on going thru the truck lines and let them yell at me there. So i think iam just going to try truck line next month. I will have my trailer with me

I’ve only crossed at Windsor once with the truck and trailer and they had me go through truck lanes.  Sarnia is much easier to figure out where to go.  Send a pm to Ralf (hone eagle), he lives near Windsor, crosses there regularly and can tell you which lanes to use.

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I cross the border once a week in my pick up. 
And usually every weekend during the summer In my HDT. 
For the most part , at the larger ports when you have the HDT I use the commercial lane. Tell them first thing you are not commercial.   Most of them respect this.  
The car lanes/ rv lanes are not designed to deal with a truck this tall.  
We all know that the truck is not commercial, but it looks like a commercial truck.  
That’s why this happens , and no one looks at the side of the truck for the not for hire. 

And trust me when the DOT stops you he doesn’t care how it’s licensed or tagged.  
I got stopped in a truck 40MPH. And it was a 55MPH road.  I was going 55. 
End result was a speeding ticket. 

His quote was. I don’t care how it’s licensed, you’re a truck and you know your a truck. 

Trip to the court house.  Judge asked for a pic of the set up.  His reply was. That’s a truck, not a motor home.  And I had to pay the ticket. 

Something to keep in mind in our travels.  
Also here in Manitoba.  We are also bound by road restrictions in the spring and must follow them.