Is it time to go to 5G

Even between two of the exact same phones there can be a major difference in radio efficacy.

I saw no difference in my 4G and 5G phone service as far as voice goes. Although I have a dedicated unlimited data sim card with the same plan as our other two phones. The third sim is used in any of our three Surface Tablets.

However we had two Motorola One 5G Ace phones with 6GB RAM/128GB storage. Mine was terrible and hers is still great. Folks would intermittently tell me I was breaking up and they could not hear me on mine sometimes. Then to test it when sitting in the same spot they can hear me clear as a bell on her phone, especially on video calls to our kids in Germany.

I sent it in for repair twice but Lenovo owns Motorola phones now and their repair folks sent it back twice saying they could find nothing wrong with it. I switched to a Pixel Pro and Lyn still has her Motorola One. We won't be buying any more Motorola phones when she's ready for an upgrade.

So even between two of the same phones there can be a major difference in radio efficacy.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

I picked up my Jeep on Thursday of last week  and found the T-Mobile iPhone 14 worked great in the Jeep. My first experience with "CarPlay". It's similar to the latest "Android Auto" I've been using in the same Jeep.  I was preparing for a trip Friday to Concordia, Missouri from Oskaloosa, Iowa.  I could have gone all the way West to I 35 and then South To Kansas City before backtracking on I 70 to Concordia, but that's a lot more miles at 55 mph and I've seen all that country many many times before. It was nice to see the farmers in the fields planting and a few mowing the grass, but again I've seen and will see again many times. 

Hopped in the Jeep and plugged in the iPhone. Put in the address for my destination and turned on the "Streaming Music" I found on Thursday that I could tolerate. (Haven't and won't link my Pandora account to the iPhone). 

All was good till I got 15 miles and to the first turn. The music started  to pause first infrequently but as I got further down the road it was more frequent and longer. 

I grabbed the android and plugged it in to use my Pandora, OOPS don't do that without unplugging the iPhone. The infotainment screen went blank, then toggled through CarPlay and Android auto before going blank again.  Took a full shut down of the Jeep to get everything back working again and I stayed with the Android for the remainder of the trip. The iPhone is going back to T-Mobile Monday. 

I did see another interesting option and I think I will try it out. 

Anyone using the Samsung Z fold?   https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphones/galaxy-z-fold4/

With the info of GM being the first to stop putting CarPlay or Android Auto in without having a "Subscription". I am thinking of joining the small group of those just using the Z Fold. I will be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle  and use Bluetooth to play the sounds.  The Z fold is expensive, but much less than my plan to upgrade the radio's in the truck and Isuzu to have the features. 

I may have also found a work around with the Verizon issue. I'll get my Granddaughter/s a Verizon account. I'm pretty sure they are using US Cellular now. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a bit, but did manage to secure a new "Verizon" account and chose the Fold 4 for my new phone. 

Had noticed people using it instead of the "Android Auto or Car Play" with the existing infotainment systems and with the trouble I've been having with my 2022 Jeep and it's system it seemed like a no brainer.  I was thinking of updating the systems in my 1999 Isuzu and the HDT. I don't drive them often, but do miss the "Waze" activities a lot and using it on the Note 9 just didn't work well. 

I haven't found the best mount yet for the fold, mostly because the Isuzu currently needs a new water pump and timing belt. The parts should be her next Tuesday, but not sure when the mechanic will be able to install them. My truck's are both hundreds of miles away so I don't need to find the holders yet. 

I've been less than pleased with the "Data" abilities with the new plan and phone.  In the past I've (and still do) use PDA net to link my phone data to my PC. I watch major network TV programs (at times when I have the time to watch) and several YouTube channels (Big Truck Big Travels shout out). The bad part is PDA net doesn't seem to work the same on the new phone, so I used the WIFI hot spot, but in 9 days I started getting a warning that I was about to run out of Data. I contacted my representative and of course the answer is "You will never run out of data, but the speeds will be diminished".  My response was if the data is no longer usable, then it's not there and therefore has run out. I've been met by silence so far to that comment. 

I do like the new phone. It is expensive and of course as soon as I ordered it the new Fold 5 was leaked and the Pixel Fold was released. I'll hate to turn it back in next week, but if I  don't get a satisfactory answer by Wednesday the phone will be taken back to the nearest Verizon place and surrendered. Not paying for something that's worse than what I've had for almost 15 years. 

Thankfully I still have my old plan and can continue using it for the time being. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod! I feel for ya. Even today it takes some trial and error.

I long ago started using SD cards filled with my music and a movie or ten.

My current Pixel 6 Pro which will be replaced with the 8 Pro if it is materially better than the 7 Pro. If no real upgrades then I will get a 7 Pro reduced a lot or used.

But none of them have SD card slots any more. No problem as I have two 256GB USB A tiny flash drives and can just use them as long as I remembered to reformat them from Windows NTFS to ExFat file system so Android can see it. Then it is a matter of connecting it only when we are traveling out of our area.

Also some new vehicle entertainment and comm systems have USB A ports you can direct plug into the vehicle audio system and by pass the phone while using no data for music or videos when stopped.

I use streaming Tesla channels and in the other car Pandora but we all know there are dead spots for Internet and radio. Today less so.

Here is a video on how to do it with an Android phone if you aren't familiar with it. It also uses none of your internal phone storage.

Keep us posted on your phone and solution.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire