High Plains Campground

lappir

I posted this as a comment to the video attached to the post regarding High Plains Campground. Hopefully the "Sand Burr" issue has been resolved, but those thorny seed pods will last for decades and maybe even longer. I know the rule here is no replies,  but I wish I had been warned before walking across the grass. 

Rod Lappin

0 seconds ago
Another reason for not driving on the grass is the "Sand Burrs" as I call them. If you google what's in the quotes it will bring up the plant and all it's different names. Jack Mayer may remember a fellow HDT'r from Colorado. I happened to see their rig after the HDT Rally in Hutchinson Kansas (Coming up in October again). I too was heading back to Colorado and had stopped at what was then known as the Colonial Restaurant which had a very good "Buffet" meal every day. Sad to think the restaurant is no longer the same. Anyway "Devil Dog" and his wife and K9 were in the park clearing as many of the burrs off of their shoes, dog and all other parts when I walked up. They remarked "Guess they got you too" and pointed to the laces on my sneakers. The rest of the story is long and will only be added if someone requests. Great location, used to be a great meal stop. I would walk the site before ever pulling into the park though. Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.