Fall in Lancaster County Pennsylvania

ToddF

I've had an Aunt and Uncle who have lived here for many, many years. So I see 3 Thousand Trails parks on my membership in the area and came for a visit. It's a beautiful part of the country with a mix of quaint small towns (e.g. Columbia), farms, suburban like areas, and touristy things to do. Discovered the South Lancaster County bike trail system (Columbia=trailhead) -14 miles in length along the Susquehanna river (highly recommended). The Gardens at Hershey ($12.50 admission) are beautiful. And hopefully when Covid passes, a resumption of the huge Hershey RV show every Fall (Oct). The Jersey Shore is about 160 miles to the East. Amtrak services Lancaster - a great way to go into NYC for a visit (about a 90 minute ride). The area has many fresh fruit and vegetable markets and buffets (limited now) known for homestyle cooking.

I was born in rural NW Pennsylvania in 1950 but left in 1995 mainly because of the harsh winters there. We got some of the lake effect snow from Lake Erie and we had enough. The summer of 1995 we visited New Mexico on vacation and fell in love with it. We do get a little snow in central NM but it melts by 10 AM.

I do miss the leaves and returned in the fall of 2007 for a leaf visit and it was fantastic. I love the smell of the woods in the fall.

Last week here in NM we heard of some red maples that had turned color up in Forth of July Canyon and we drove a hour and it was bumper to bumper traffic on a Monday up a 4 mile gravel/rock dirt road. Arrived and from what I saw it was some red maple bushes that was at the last of their prime. NO  majestic red maples like back in Pa. Because of Covid that was the first we were out since February so it was still a treat.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST