If you have a Spartan (Cummins?) replacement nylon fan in the engine compartment in your RV, you may be driving around with a ticking time bomb. Have your fan checked for small weights similar to fishing weights that are clamped to the blade(s) of your fan. (My original fan did NOT have weights.) If you have experienced a radiator failure after replacement of your fan have your fan checked for weights as additional weights may come off during future operation.    My tale of woe follows:

During radiator replacement in December 2016 , the nylon radiator fan was replaced in my 2000 Newmar, Cummins diesel engine with odometer at 61,676 miles by an authorized shop in Nappanee, Ind. (Mast Auto) using Spartan OEM replacement fan. 

Less than 10,000 miles later, a weight that was attached to the fan came off during normal operation, damaging the fan, becoming a projectile into the radiator, resulting in complete coolant drainage and leaving me stranded. Photo shows fan after removal with two loose weights and two weights still mounted on the fan. One of the loose weights had been retrieved from the motor mount under the radiator, the second fan weight was removed by the mechanic with just finger pressure. 

Spartan was contacted and advised the replacement fans in stock were weighted and the weights would not come off during normal operation. Later, after review of the receipts and photos Spartan responded: did not doubt the damage was caused by the fan weight(s) however, it was Spartan's position that the fan was outside the 90 day warranty and therefore damages were NOT he responsibility of Spartan. An early offer to send a fan replacement at no charge was then withdrawn. To date Spartan has NOT offered any compensation for the defective design/weighted OEM replacement fan, tow or radiator or fan repairs. 

By the way, kudos to my Cummins authorized repair shop, Womack Diesel for locating the cause of loss to my radiator, repairing the damage as well as securing the remaining two weights with industrial epoxy. Womack Diesel has been my repair shop for several years, is always competent and more than fair on their repair prices. They are my knights in mechanics clothing  that operate a family owned shop of several generations in Seguin, Tx. I highly recommend them for truck and RV mechanical issues.

Attached Thumbnails

Fan Weights .025.jpg

Archived