Car Rental Insurance

Five Wood

Has anyone here had the misfortune of damaging a rental car and using your own insurance to pay for it?

In the past, I have never purchased the add-on insurance when I rent a car.  My insurance co. (USAA) will cover me in a rental car and when I charge the rental my credit card (USAA) will cover the deductible.  I will be renting a car next week and decided to research this a bit.  I actually called USAA and spoke to someone about the coverage and was surprised at the answers.  They said that I had coverage but it "may" not cover everything.  They said the rental car company can bill for things such as "loss of use" fees and those "may" not be covered.  The bottom line from USAA is that you might want to consider paying the car rental company for their insurance.

I'm curious if anyone here has damaged a rental car and what the process was like?

Jim 

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

50 minutes ago, Five Wood said:

The bottom line from USAA is that you might want to consider paying the car rental company for their insurance.

I'm curious if anyone here has damaged a rental car and what the process was like?

I did have that experience but it was more than 20 years ago so my experience may not be valid. I have always declined the added insurance as was the case in that incident. When I returned the car (it was from Hertz) I pointed out the small dent and the agent then took pictures, had a form which I filled out and noted my insurance carrier(Allstate) and policy number. It was also noted to have been covered by the credit card coverage which was from American Express. I do not remember ever hearing anything more from the rental agency or anyone else, but am not sure. I do believe that if I had been required to pay anything I would remember. Of course, that may all be different with the time involved and the difference in insurance & credit cards.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, some of the rental car companies will charge an administrative fee, as well as the daily rental fee for each day the car is in the shop and out of the rental pool.  I'm sure there are other charges - claim filing fees etc that some come up with.  You could be stuck paying some of this yourself.  Best to contact your insurance prior to renting to see if these types of fees are covered under your policy.

Pat DeJong

Archived