Sanitizing Water System

capt307

Hello,

I need to sanitize our water system. Our 5th wheel does not have a "fill port" to fill up the water tank. It just has one city connection with a selector that you switch from city or tank fill or winterize. I know I can use the winterize option to pump my bleach mixture through the lines. My question is, how do I get it into the hot water tank and also the regular water holding tank?

On that same thought, if we are dry camping how do I get the water tank filled up. Since there isn't just a water port opening to use I can't fill it with portable jugs or use a truck that goes around filling rv's with a hose they would normally have stuck into the fill port. Hadn't given this a thought until now with our new unit. We always had a fill port separate from the city connection to fill up the water tank.

Thanks,

Scott

You could always pour the requisite amount of bleach into the water hose before attaching it. That will fill your fresh water tank with bleach water.

For the water heater, what we've done is drain it (turn it OFF first, of course), put the plug back in, and then refill it with the bleach water from the fresh water tank (open the hot water taps until water starts coming out). Once you've done this, run the bleach water through all the lines, and have let it sit for at least 3 hours, drain every thing, including the water heater, and refill with fresh water.

Some people do a second tank using baking soda or vinegar, but we've never been bothered by the slight bleach smell remaining (and it quickly dissipates), so we've never done the baking soda or vinegar rinse.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

We just pour the bleach in the hose and hook it up to the faucet and fill the fw tank. We let it sit a couple of days then pump it throughout the trailer and finally fill the holding tanks with it and let them sit for a few days and then dump.

Our trailer is parked on the side of our shop at home so this pretty easy to do.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Archived