slide alignment maintenance

The 2 shear pins on my long slide both broke last fall. Fortunately, they broke at the end of an “in” movement. This was after a period of very slow opening and especially closing with a loud “clunk” at the beginning of moving in-or out. The slide always appeared aligned at the start and finish of each movement. I replaced the 2 pins and lubricated the slide racks again. The slide mechanism seems to work well with about 20 uses or so since then. The movement is still slow and the “clunks” persist.

I am afraid the pins will break again and it won’t be so easy next time.

Since “misalignment” seems to be a common slide problem, I have an appointment next week to have the RV looked at in a local shop since we are parked for a couple of weeks.

Can you help me with any suggestions, or what I might expect?

Thanks,

Rob

'02 Chevy Silverado diesel CrewCab C3500, auto, long, dually, 4x2, 6.6L, 3.70 rear.

'04 Jayco Designer Medallion 30RKS 5th wheel, 50 amp, 33'6", 2 slides.

When the starboard living room slide mechanism, it too began shearing pins, broke(under warranty) on our 5er the local RV repair shop told me to take it to the Dutchmen factory in Goshen. Their reason, local RV technicians so seldomly work on slide mechanisms they lack the skill to align slides correctly.

When we got to the Dutchmen factory I related what that service writer said. The factory service shop foreman said I was lucky to meet a service dept. so upfront and honest. In 2 days our 5er was repaired correctly and we headed home. The problem was a bent screw shaft that in turn bent the main square mechanism frame.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the good advice.

I called Jayco. The fellow thought the slide should be ok from the way I described it. He said the more common Lippert mechanism with the racks under the slide, which I have, tends to have fewer problems than the other kind with the racks on the sides of the slide. He thought a local RV tech would see this often enough to manage this problem.

However, he offered to have a look at it when we pass back through Indiana. So I cancelled the local rv shop and will check it out at Jayco.

Thanks again.

Rob

'02 Chevy Silverado diesel CrewCab C3500, auto, long, dually, 4x2, 6.6L, 3.70 rear.

'04 Jayco Designer Medallion 30RKS 5th wheel, 50 amp, 33'6", 2 slides.

Archived