arthritis and joint treatments for dogs?

Velos

I have used the Cosequin products and generics (chewables, tablets and capsules) for three elderly dogs and a cat over the course of many years. They are available from Amazon, a number of online pet specialty suppliers, the BJ's Club stores on the East coast, Walmart, Petsmart, etc. I try to shop the sales or use coupons to get the best price. Walmart has a generic chewable tablet that is much cheaper. Unfortunately, my current dog that needs it does not like the taste of them so I would have to pellitize them which I do not like to do everyday with a pill that large. The capsules can be broken open and mixed with food. I haven't really noticed any difference in the results of the various brands formulas provided the dosage is the same.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I have used the Cosequin products and generics (chewables, tablets and capsules) for three elderly dogs and a cat over the course of many years. They are available from Amazon, a number of online pet specialty suppliers, the BJ's Club stores on the East coast, Walmart, Petsmart, etc. I try to shop the sales or use coupons to get the best price. Walmart has a generic chewable tablet that is much cheaper. Unfortunately, my current dog that needs it does not like the taste of them so I would have to pellitize them which I do not like to do everyday with a pill that large. The capsules can be broken open and mixed with food. I haven't really noticed any difference in the results of the various brands formulas provided the dosage is the same.

Thank you.

You should be able to buy glucosamine almost anywhere. It is a common supplement that many people take for joint problems. It does not have to be pet specific as long as you give the proper dosage.

This is true and years ago I shared the pills I took with my 100# Golden Retriever. That dog would eat just about anything and because of the size was very easy to give even the largest pills. That said, most of the human Glucosamine tablets are big enough that they may be problematic for smaller dogs or breaking them into the right size peices for the proper dose can be a little tough. I looked at the dosage for a dog up to 15# and it is 300mg. The pills I take are 1500mg. I seriously doubt I could break my pills into 5 equal peices.

As far as I know, the human pills don't come in flavors preferred by dogs like liver or bacon. I have gone down the road of grinding pills up and hiding them in cheese, etc. At least for me, the convenience of a chewable the dog will readily eat is worth it for a medication taken everyday. The choice of using human tablets is available, however; I would check the ingredients carefully to make sure that they only contain Glucosamine and Chondriton and consult a Vet if there are any other ingredients.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

For flareup's (like first thing in the morning) you might also talk to your vet about giving them a little naproxen sodium. It's very inexpensive and really helped our shepherd in his later years. I don't know what it sells for now, but back a few years you could buy 400 - 220mg caplets for around $12. He was 70lbs and took 50mg's daily. That would have been a 5 year supply for $12 if I hadn't snitched out of his bottle for myself. ;)

We have used Costco's Glucosamine plus Chondroitin for years (both us and the dogs, 30 lbs cocker spaniels). 2 for each of us, 1 for each dog. One pill is basically the same dosage as Cosequin.

We have tried other "store brand" versions a couple of times (when traveling and not near a Costco) and within days can tell a difference with one of the dogs. Now we stick with the Costco one.

(note that the dosage on the bottle says 1500/1200 mg for the human-grade ones, but that's for 2 pills)

Michelle

Archived