FL Domicile - Florida Use Tax?

jmarxen

We are currently residents of South Carolina about one year away of being able to full-time. The two states we are considering is FL and TX for our domicile when we make the switch. We have relatives in both states, so either one we choose, the transition to make that state our domicile will be easier.

Looking at the Florida Dept of Revenue, we came across FL's use tax:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/sales_tax.html

On it it states:

Use Tax

Use tax is due on the use or consumption of taxable goods or services when sales tax was not paid at the time of purchase. For example:

If you buy a taxable item in Florida and didn't pay sales tax, you owe use tax.

If you buy an item tax-exempt intending to resell it and then use the item in your business or for personal use, you owe use tax.

If you buy a taxable item outside Florida and bring it into or have it delivered into Florida and you did not pay sales tax on the item, you owe use tax.

We are in the process of ordering our new coach, in which SC only charges $300 max sales tax and registration fees of $450. Only the property tax is a bit expensive which for a $250k coach, will run us about $1800 a year.

If we make FL our domicile, it implies we'll need to pay use tax on the coach. In our case, it looks like $15,000 at least on the coach. Or is this use tax applicable to businesses only? Has anyone else run into this? any guidance is appreciated!

- Jim & Nancy

Jim & Nancy

Newmar Mountain Air

Love to travel

I've been a FL resident now for many years and both my memory may be foggy and the rules may have changed. But there is a 'time frame' built into the statute. If you bought and owned the coach in your previous state for 'x' period of time before reregistering it in FL, there is no use tax on the transfer. I seem to remember 6 months but I'm not sure of that time period. If there were no period of time to trigger an exemption, every retiree moving to FL would be paying a use tax on every vehicle etc that they brought with him/her. That certainly would inhibit Florida's growth :mellow:

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

If you bought and owned the coach in your previous state for 'x' period of time before reregistering it in FL, there is no use tax on the transfer.

There are similar rules in TX, but they do have a transfer fee for vehicles brought into the state.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:

Tax Assessor's Office

416 N. Washington

Livingston, TX. 77351

936-327-6801

For Driver's License, Motor Vehicle Registrations and Voter Registration:

County Tax Collector’s Office (the licensing agent for all three of the above)

220 East McCollum Ave.

Bushnell, FL 33513

352-569-6740

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived