Fluorescent Tubes to LEDs ?

Mine use the G4 pin connections. I purchased flat disc shaped LED's and just plugged them in where the bulbs had been. The 10 fixtures in the living room are controlled by a dimmer and it works fine to a point. Below a certain level, maybe 30% brightness, they just shut off. That works fine because I wouldn't want them any darker than that.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Everyone post how they liked the LED but no one has said anything about how much energy/power savings they realized.

When you replace a fluorescent with an LED you're replacing an already fairly efficient lighting system by one that is ~2x better. The exact amount of energy used by an LED replacement will depend on which LEDs you buy and how bright you want your fixture to be. For roughly the same illumination level a factor of 2 reduction in energy usage is a reasonable approximation. That's not nearly as much as the ~5-6x reduction in power usage you get replacing incandescents with LEDs (5-6x is a reasonable number when equivalent lumen flux is considered; those who claim 10x reduction are willing to live with light level reduction and often with color temps >6000K).

Because the actual energy efficiency improvement is low, I've been going slowly on replacing fluorescents with LEDs. I've been doing it when the ballasts die; now that LED prices have come down a bit I'll probably start doing it every time I need new tubes. I've seen no particular reason to engage in wholesale replacement of fluorescent tubes since there was little energy or economic driver. That having been said, all our incandescent bulbs were changed over to LEDs quite some time ago.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Mine use the G4 pin connections. I purchased flat disc shaped LED's and just plugged them in where the bulbs had been. The 10 fixtures in the living room are controlled by a dimmer and it works fine to a point. Below a certain level, maybe 30% brightness, they just shut off. That works fine because I wouldn't want them any darker than that.

Thanks glad to know that works

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived