Adding underchassis storage

4x4ff

I am wanting to add a storage box under the frame of my 5er. Basically I carry two bulky item with me that take up a LOT of space in my basement. First is a Little Giant type of ladder and my Coleman grill. I really don't want to travel without either one of these. Not meaning to be rude but I realize that when traveling you should travel light.....pitch everything that you don't need.....if it can't fit in a shoebox you don't need it...etc., etc.,etc. That's not my point. I am curious if you guys think I will have a problem with this hanging up on anything. FWIW, I used to have my vinyl fence post sewer hose holder mounted directly behind the landing gear and never had an issue and it hangs down almost as much as what I am wanting to build.

What I intend to do is take a sheet of 3/16" Aluminum and have it bent to make a box that is 8 inches tall, 24 inches wide and the full 8 feet deep. I will attach it underneath to the frame rails and it would fit my needs perfectly. Here is a picture with the yellow lines indicating where I would mount it:

Storage%20Box_zpsudkjl5lk.jpg

The Coroplast underneath is hanging down because I had just installed my JT Strongarms and haven't reattached it. The new box will not hang any lower than the other storage, it will just be farther forward. I know it could cause some clearance issues but I also notice a lot of the newer fifth wheels that have a larger basement set closer to the ground than mine.

What do you think?

Steve

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

e9132d54-0b3a-4ebb-ae60-dd6b6d56e047_zps

Should work but may have to remove to get under the flooring for plumbing possibly.

I absolutely understand that. As it is this will be directly below my black tank.

Steve

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

Looks like it will be higher than the other black box there (to the rear). I might even make it larger, throw in a drawer, and put the stinky slinky, clear straights / 45's, 90's and parts in there.

I've added a couple for various long items. Lot of wasted space there.

The black box to the rear is the Lippert under chassis storage that has a slide out drawer on either side and behind that is my 5" vinyl fence post for the slinky stinky and attachments. The 8" x 24" box that I will make is just big enough to hold what I need and in reality I wont have much additional room to make it wider because of the JT's, I definitely don't want to go deeper. I'll just have a door on either side that is hinged.

Steve

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

Ground clearance always needs to be considered, everything from crossing a sidewalk that steps up from the street level to a railroad crossing that is bumped up a foot or so. We have seen several vehicles that have run over a rise with the tow vehicle and then had something on the fiver hit it because the fiver's wheels hadn't lifted the fiver yet.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Being as you know the box is there and careful driving you should have no issues. The biggest concern is I think is getting into fuel stations. I have thrown blocks under a persons wheels before in order to get them out of a situation :) As you're bolting this on...Did you know the best pillow under a rig is a roll of shop towels still in the wrapper ? Just my pearls of wisdom for the day. :rolleyes:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived