Crunch Time

tonita

Hello everyone,

It's been quite some time since I've posted. I'm at the verge of making my decision (I hope). My original thought was that I wanted a little trailer (Casita) but now I don't think I'll be able to afford that. I'd have to purchase the trailer and a tow vehicle as well.

My thinking now is possibly an older Class C using my own car as a toad. I trust the car I have. It's a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and I've always maintained it. What do I have to do to be able to tow my car? What should I look for in a small Class C? I don't want something very big. I know I would want to have any potential purchase inspected so I wouldn't know where to find someone. I don't want to lay out all of my money because I want to make sure I have an emergency fund set up too. Plus, I know I want to travel and live in my RV - maybe for a year to see if this is the life I want. Now that I'm almost there, I have lots of doubts and choices to make.

Scary and exciting at the same time.

OK, the first thing you may want to do is find out if your Hyundai can be towed 4 down. If it is a stick shift probably

yes, if it is a automatic???

I just added the Blue Ox towing setup on my 2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 and it cost me $3000 out the door, your cost may vary.

Your car should weight less than 2500 pounds so most V8 powered Class C MH should be able to pull that with no problems.

Good luck with your new life, I know you will enjoy it once your out on the road.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Thanks Phil. My car is a 4 cylinder. How would I know if it can be towed and how?

The key is what transmission the car has. If you visit the site of REMCO towing you can learn what, if anything needs to be done in order to two it on it's wheels. If yours has a manual, 5 speed it can be towed without modification. If it is automatic it depends upon which transmission it has.

Of course, in addition to the car you also need to then add a base plate to attach the tow bar to, then get a tow-bar and while not required, an axillary braking system is also recommended.

Plus, do I have to choose the rv first or can they be adjusted to each other?

If the RV comes with a hitch receiver as most do, you can use it to tow with but the RV will also have a designed weight limit that it is safe to tow. Most will handle towing at least 3000# of vehicle. They do not come with the tow-bar or base plate that is needed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your car is the automatic that needs the lube pump you will need to get that installed on the car along with the mounting for the tow bar and buy a good tow bar. You will want to try to do a search to verify that others have successfully towed this way without ruining their transmissions.

If your car has the other automatic that cannot be flat towed with all wheels down, you would need to get a tow dolly or trailer and then you need to add that weight to the cars weight to verify the RV can handle it.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Also, I do not think Kurt's link to Remco is working correctly.

Try:

Www.remcoindustries.com

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived