Replace 14" tires with 15" tires?

Yarome

Rims rated for these tires are available or they would never sell these tires. No, I've never owned a trailer with 14" or 15" tires. I' much rather have "overkill" tires than "underkill' tires. I posted the link for informational purposes only. 15" rims are available with bolt patterns for 14" hubs too.

Thanks for the response. I know there are rims that the tires will fit on. I know there are 15" rims with the same bolt pattern as 14" rims, but you didn't really answer my question has to whether rims suitable for the F & G rated tires, i.e. 7.5 to 10" wide rims are available in a 6 bolt pattern. I did some searching and the wide rims witth a 6 bolt pattern that I could find looked like they were for passenger or maybe race cars and did not give any indication of a pressure rating that would make them suitable for 80-110psi applications. I couldn't find the dimensions of the tires you linked to but as I recall the last time this came up, the 15" F,G, & H tires that are actually intended for use on lowboy trailers were something like 29+ inches in diameter. I suppose one could try to enlarge the wheel wells or jack the trailer up off the axles like a monster truck.

Carlisle Tires have some new sizes in their Sport Trail LH bias ply trailer tires. A 14.5” LRF and a 16” LRE. Usually LRD is the highest load range for bias ply trailer tires. Here is the reference.

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/sport-trail-lh

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

...Carlisle Tires have some new sizes in their Sport Trail LH bias ply trailer tires. A 14.5” LRF ...

Thanks for the link. The 14.5" looks like it may be a pretty good alternative for those with 14" OEM rims as it is a little smaller in diameter than most of the 15" and at 2830# has the same capacity as the 15" E rated tires. Down side for some (especially the only use LT crowd) may be that not only are they ST tires, but OMG bias ply to boot. I think their reaction may be like the famous line often repeated by Fred Sanford "This is the big one." :D

Yarome,

If you have not purchased your tires and are still looking. I may have found a couple other possibilities for you. The Hankook RA08 is available in a 195R14, diameter is 26.3", 2094# Max @ 65psi, speed rating R(99MPH). The Maxxis UE-168 is available in three 14" sizes with ratings from 1874-2270#.

As an aside, If you search some of the other RV forums that have more travel trailer owners, you will find pages of discussion of 14" trailer tires.

These are the 14" tires I am running on my dual axle car trailer. Kumho Radial 857 with 2271 lbs load with a Q speed rating (99 mph). VERY very happy with them. Was also going to change to 15s until I found this tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Specs

Purchased them at Discount Tire.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Archived