Jump to content
Allentc2

Let's say I don't really want DirecTV or Dish....

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, OregonJim said:

Thank you.  Random is only one of many options.  I've been using this program exclusively for my TV watching since I created it 6 months ago.  I forgot to mention the hard part: converting (ripping) your DVD/BluRay collection to video.  That took me the better part of 3 months - but it's a one-time effort.  And one I needed to do anyway for fulltiming.  I have a spare laptop with Linux on it all set to go for when the day comes that we find our ideal motorhome...

What did you use to rip your DVD's.  I'm looking for something to do this and haven't really found one I like.  I have nearly 1000 DVD/BluRays I'd like to digitize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

What did you use to rip your DVD's.  I'm looking for something to do this and haven't really found one I like.  I have nearly 1000 DVD/BluRays I'd like to digitize.

I used HandBrake (also free, also multiplatform).  All the ripping apps are slow - it's the nature of the beast.  What I did to speed up the process was to use multiple computers simultaneously.  I had about 5,000 DVDs to churn through. 

 

https://handbrake.fr/

Edited by OregonJim
add url

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OregonJim said:

I used HandBrake (also free, also multiplatform).  All the ripping apps are slow - it's the nature of the beast.  What I did to speed up the process was to use multiple computers simultaneously.  I had about 5,000 DVDs to churn through. 

Thanks.  I hadn't seen that one before.  I will give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple of tools I use to rip DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

For DVDs I use DVDShrink. It is quite old now but works for most DVDs.

For Blu-Ray and DVDs that DVDShrink can't handle I use MakeMKV.

VideoHelp.com is an excellent site for information on video topics.

Here's a link for DVD rippers: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers

A How-To on using MakeMKV: https://www.howtogeek.com/161498/how-to-backup-your-dvd-and-blu-ray-movie-collection/

MakeMKV does not convert video formats, so the files created are huge. Handbrake is an excellent tool to compress these files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2018 at 2:40 AM, OregonJim said:

  No antenna needed.  No Internet needed (but it will show you local weather and news headlines every 1/2 hour if you DO have Internet). 

You lost me. Did I overlook the answer for where the media comes from to provide the programing. I normally watch Gunsmoke or Johnny Carson at bed time. How does that program get inside the little box called a Computer. OTA TV requires some sort of antenna even if it is a paper clip for near station. The internet may come from a Wi-fi connection or your own service but what is the third service or does the Prairie Dogs have some kind of unknown communications.

Clay Still trying to learn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, OregonJim said:

You do  need to be fairly computer literate to set it up

Deal breaker right there! :lol:

Sounds cool though. I am going to try to optimize my RV for accessing the interwebz, so with luck I'll be able to do Netflix/etc. like I do now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

You lost me. Did I overlook the answer for where the media comes from to provide the programing. I normally watch Gunsmoke or Johnny Carson at bed time. How does that program get inside the little box called a Computer. OTA TV requires some sort of antenna even if it is a paper clip for near station. The internet may come from a Wi-fi connection or your own service but what is the third service or does the Prairie Dogs have some kind of unknown communications.

Clay Still trying to learn

The media resides on an internal or external hard drive, just as it does at a TV station.  I have 10 seasons of Gunsmoke on one of mine, as well as many hours of the "Best of Carson" that all came originally from DVDs.  There are many Internet sources, such as archive.org, where you can find vintage television shows to download locally as well (some are legal, many not so much).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allentc2 said:

Deal breaker right there! :lol:

Sounds cool though. I am going to try to optimize my RV for accessing the interwebz, so with luck I'll be able to do Netflix/etc. like I do now.

Yeah, if you don't know your way around a file system or the command line, then my program is probably not for you.  I wrote it so that I can watch WHAT I want WHEN I want, and not be at the mercy of the network programmers or have to rely on intermittent (at best) streaming.  It worked so well for me that I decided to share it, but it's not quite as simple as a black box that you plug in and go.  It does require some initial setup to tell it where all your media files are and how they're organized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OregonJim said:

 There are many Internet sources, such as archive.org, where you can find vintage television shows to download locally as well (some are legal, many not so much).

I understand even through your saying no internet. At some time you have used internet to acrhive hours of viewing.

Clay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ms60ocb said:

I understand even through your saying no internet. At some time you have used internet to acrhive hours of viewing.

Clay

No, actually mine came from DVDs that were converted to video.  But yes, you *can* use the Internet to gather media - it is not required to use the program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cut the cord.

We had Dish Network for about 8 years and its a wonder I don't have an ulcer.  That is the most frustrating company in the world to work with and I cannot imagine Direct TV is any better.

We have the Razor HD antenna on the DRV and it pulls in quite a bit of programming.  However, there are those shows you just want to watch as if you were at home.

We bought an AT&T hotspot (unlimited) to go along with out laptop.  We have comcast (xfinity - excuse me) for our TV/Internet/Phone at home so I use their website to view programming through the laptop.  Just hook your HDMI cable up to the laptop and the TV and you have the stuff you want to watch.  However, their are those programs like local network news and, in our case, Baltimore Orioles or Washington Nationals baseball that you can only watch on your home wifi.  

Solution for that is to install a Remote Desktop app on your home computer and laptop.  You set up your home computer as the remote computer and no matter where you are -- and because I have the hotspot which gives me a good wifi signal, you can remotely connect to your home computer from your laptop.  Once on your home computer just click your comcast Icon and watch your local programming and then everyone thinks you are sitting right there in your living room.   Works like a champ.

Satellite was good but Streaming is the future.  Any programs you have saved using your DVR at home you can watch them through your laptop setup.  It may be a little confusing but now I don't have to talk to Dish Network and explain to them I want to change my service address and NOT my billing address.

Enjoy the road.  We do.

Bigdon68

 

Edited by Bigdon68
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×