Insurance for F450?

oldbutspry

Don't know if an F450 actually qualifies as a MDT but this is the place most likely to have the answer I need.  I bought the F450 from the classifieds but I don't yet have a 5th wheel so I'm guessing I can't buy RV insurance yet.  I'm thinking we'll find a fifth within the next 4 to 5 months.  Where would be the best place for me to get insurance now?  I looked at the Geico site and checked their commercial rates.  That comes out a bit pricey at around $1800/year for full coverage.  I can do that for a little while if need be but I figured there might be a better option.  I'm sure I'm not the first person in this situation.

59 minutes ago, DieselHP said:

Give this place a call. They did my MDT for a lot less but they had to also do my 5th wheel.

http://www.fcisinsurance.com/insurance-types/

I went through their online process and got an email that an agent will get back to me.

Good Sam would give me a good rate but only if I had a fifth wheel to insure with it.  I suspect that will be where I get insurance after I get a 5th but don't want to rush out and buy one just to save temporarily on insurance.  Also tried USAA, Progressive, Farmers, and Safeco.  Also waiting on a callback from AAA.

Hmm. So this is weird.  The first time I called USAA they said they couldn't directly write me a policy.  I called back and a different guy did an override and wrote me the policy this time.  And the rate was quite reasonable.  Not sure exactly what the deal was but I'm happy.  The first guy I spoke to didn't sound like he was particularly confident or knowledgeable.

• 4 weeks later...

When I got my 2014 F350 progressive when crazy. This is my personal vehicle (not commercial) and used to pull my 32ft. trailer. My truck-2012 jeep wrangler and my trailer are $1600.00/yr. with Hastings Ins. in Michigan. Have an 1984 Peterbilt 359 thats with State Farm that I also pull my trailer a few times a yrs. $400/yr for $20,000 declared value (a little underinsured)

Archived