Retail Contractors

gjhunter01

Talking to another RV'r and she travels the country working for a contract Co.  http://www.sasrlink.com/. You go into retail stores and set up displays and shelving which may take 1-9 days and starting wages are approximate $11/hr to as high as $18 for experienced workers. You enter the zip code you want to work in and  get a list of posted jobs available. She claims she can work 1 day a year or 365. It's interesting to see what's out there.

Greg

I looked at a bunch of different zip codes, and there doesn't seem to be that many positions.  Phoenix, Kansas City, and Denver had none.  Houston had one.  Dallas listed five, but they were actually in Hillsboro, Bowie, Waco, Paris, and Ardmore, OK.  A zip code for downtown Los Angeles had one position, down in Orange County. 

I get the feeling that you get a 100-mile radius around the zip code you entered, as the crow flies.

The Atlanta area had 16, but they were all for the same grocery store chain and required experience with resets/plan-o-grams.  And they start at 5:00 a.m.  A lot of them require you to be able to stand for 8 consecutive hours and lift and carry 40 pounds, but I saw some that indicated 50 and even 75 pounds of lifting.  Walgreens has a pretty strict dress code--dress pants and tucked-in collared shirt, no visible tattoos or piercings.

I agree that it's interesting to see what's out there.  But did the woman you talk to indicate how much she actually works?  Or where she's found most of the positions? 

Yes, this lady was mid 50's and (how does one say tactfully, overweight) had been doing this type of work for quite some time now. She had been through most of the different stores and knew which ones worked for her based on experience. She did comment that Walgreens was very demanding, Home Depot usually required setting up heavy racks and such. She was actually heading into a Best Buy in Fargo, ND to move displays for 5 days on midnight shift which she claimed was a easy job. She also stated the experienced/physical requirement was overstated and they basically hired anyone.

Greg

Archived