Class C Ford F450 chassis / Coachman Concord (2005)

cockneyboy

Hey Y'all, weird thing, the in dash (original) radio only works when I have 110vac power either from shore line or generator. I can't find a switch anywhere I have checked fuses on the chassis. Anyone have any clues what or where to look. I have also checked through my manuals to no avail. ????

Cheers

I had a Class C that did that once. First I would have expected the radio to be fed from the engine starting battery so it would work as long as it had charge HOWEVER yours must be fed from the RV house battery or 120 VAC to 12 VDC Converter/Charger output.

Some RV's have what I call a Converter/Charger which 1) Supplies around 13+ VDC to RV lights and fans and water pump and accessories etc, PLUS 2) Charges the house battery. Some had a relay that when 120 VAC (Generator or Utility) was applied, it closed so the Converter/Charger fed 12 VDC loads instead of the battery. IE if you're driving down the road the house battery powers DC loads but when you stop and plug in a relay toggles so the Converter feeds them instead. Some (but that was older units) had a manual switch whereby the DC loads were switched to Battery OR the Converter/Chargers output.

QUESTION if you're not plugged in or the generator isn't running, DO OTHER RV LOADS AND LIGHTS AND APPLIANCES ALL WORK and is it ONLY the radio that needs 120 VAC power to work????????????????

My first impression is your radio is fed off the house battery and you have some sort of a wiring or switch or relay problem whereby the radio ONLY gets power when 120 volts is applied (Genny or Utility) to your Converter/Charger which then feeds 12 volts to the radio.

If I had more time Id think this through and maybe figure it out or give a better answer, but I'm headed to a local Bluegrass Jam Session with my banjo and that's more fun and important lol

PS its not that hard to remove the radio and find its hot feed wire and connect it to an engine 12 VDC versus wherever its connected now!! That may be easier then to figure out what's wrong. UNLESS all the 12 volt loads act the same way which I doubt

John T

Everything else works as in all 12 volt circuits when not hooked to 110vac the only other clue is that the rear vue camera is not working either (screen embedded into sun visor. That may just not work I haven't checked for voltage yet though.

It's a Mystery alright.

Heck, just pull the radio and reconnect its feed wire to the engine battery feed (if you can find it in that mess lol) Some radios have one feed that's always hot to power up its brain and memory while the actual radio feed wires to where its hot ONLY when ignition is on. Its hard to figure this stuff out even if there let alone over the net.

John T

Archived