Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bob and Jwalker,

Talked to Gene this morning, he is sending out packets to both of us, we are to call him when we are ready to leave SD, he said he would get us to a training spot at that time.

After talking to him though I have to admit, some of the answers were a little vague, like being able to stay south in the winter? That is real important to us, also on being able to have a choice on locations and jobs sounded like not as much flexibility as I thought any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are pretty flexible just don't want to be freezing in the winter somewhere up north!

I would not worry about working this winter. Gene can't tell you about jobs that may or may not exist. There are always jobs available during the winter. They won't be in Key West, thats for sure. That beings said. There are year round jobs in Houston, Birmingham, nashvile, mobile, Alanta, dallas and small jobs that come open. Usually those of us that want t work during the winter have no problems.

Remember If they offer you a job, someplace you don't want to be, just tell them NO. You don't go to some kind of black list or the bottum of a list. They just go to someone else. Then when something else opens up they call you.

BOB

Bob,

We just talked to Gene and he will be sending our packets but I am not clear about perdium.

He says there is no perdium. He said there was travel expense. He said only one of the couple would be paid travel expense of 180.00 per week but i have read it was paid to both people. We really need to know the exact figures in order to be able to to accept the job. Could you please let us know?

Jim and Lois...

I can concur with what Bob said. Gene would not know about all the jobs that might be coming up in the future. He is only one of the supervisors SCC has through out the US. But he is a very good person to talk to in the interim as he can get you the forms you need and get the ball rolling for you. In fact, if you get hired on, depending on where you are needed most, you may not even be working for him. Each SCC field supervisor handles a different geograghical area.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you need to do if you decide to come on board is to CLEARLY COMMUNICATE your wants and needs and make sure everyone understands each other.

SCC wants to keep good workers. If you do a good job for them, they will do their best to accommodate you.

As a general rule of thumb, surveys are not done up north in the winter months because the you can not survey effectively in frozen ground. I have heard of a few jobs they have up north that have been done during the winter but they are few and far between.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

What Jan said is correct. I talked with payroll just to be sure. You must be assigned as a full Tech, with both of you working the same job.

Someone had ask Gene about partime work (30 hours a week). Job can not be assigned like at, the contact is for a set time to be completed. I do know of techs that work 4days a week, but at 10 hours days. If they have a rain day say on Tuesday, then they work Friday to make up the 40 hours. That one reason I like to work a 10 hr day, so if I get rained out I can still get paid for 40 hrs. If not its overtime.

Here in Salt lake we are restricked to 8 hrs days, but have only had one rain day since May.

Bob

Jobs come in to the home office. Then assigned to supervisors. The home office will call you or a supervisor may.

When you apply with the company tell them at the interveiw that you only want jobs that both of you can work. You will need two cars or trucks.

Just tell them up front what you need.

Bob

delsolrp..

I hope I am understanding your question (if you are asking a question that is)

I think the decision where and when you go is made collectivley between home office and Field Supervisor, based on where and when you are needed.

They will hire both of you if you both want to work. Just make sure to clearly communicate that wherever they send you, you both need to work.

They will do their best to accommodate you.

jwalker

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Burr, Paul is one of the nicest guys. Finished training in June and then went up to Temple to be with Jim Briggs, another really good guy, full of good tips and knowledge. Hope you are doing well, sounds like you are in the distribution side, DW and I are in the transmission side; all good things in this company.

Gary and Sheryl Briggs

3 Cairn Terriers

2007 Mobile Suite SB3

F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

Tom

Glad you came aboard, will be finishing this job in Salt Lake City next week. Start a job i have done for the last 3yrs in Weather/mineral Wells, Tx on the fourth of September. Its a great job, an I hope to keep during it each year. On of the guys I work with here in SLC (Fred Ivey) will be heading to Dalas. (Jan if you are monitoring Fred will give you a call on company phone for advise on where to stay).

Maybe we'll run into each other someday

Take care

Bob

salt lake City has been a great place to work this year (may-aug). People are great, lot of things to see, and some of the best maps I have ever worked with. This is one of the safes system that I have worked on. Every few leaks and those are fixed within 3-4 days. Unlike some that I have worked with, that have the same old leak , that is 12 yrs old. We had 6 people to start with, now are down to 5. We inspected 7 Million ft of gas lines. We survey the SLC valley from Orem to Ogdon, then west to Tooele county.

Next year the contract calls for 4 techs and will start around the last of April.

Bob

Bob,

If you can get hold of Fred, tell him to call me on my personal phone. I do not carry my company phone with me after hours or on the weekends.

Pers # is 865-388-7400 Tell him to call after 7pm Central Time.

I'll try to remember to keep the co. phone with me this weekend anyway, just in case he calls on it.

jwalker

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said the equipment you carry is 3-6 lbs. How do you carry it? Backpack type or what? I am very interested in this after I sell my house (which in this market, who knows? It's in Henderson Nevada if anyone is interested!!) I wanted to know about the carry weight because although I can walk for as long as I need to, I have to limit what I carry because of a neck injury. Would that preclude me from getting a job?

this is the main instrument that you carry:

FP5.jpg

You will also need to be able to use a probe bar, which is similar to a fence post pounder. The weighted shaft slides up and down, pounding in the probe bar part. It weighs about 15 lbs but you usually drive your vehicle to the sight where you are using it.

Additionally, you will use what is called a CGI to confirm the percentage of gas in the probe bar holes, but just like the probe bar, you usually drive you vehicle to the spot where you use the instrument.

Here in Dallas, we have to drill out our own probe holes if they are in concrete or asphalt. To my knowledge, Dallas (and some other places in TX) is the only place we have to do this. That means you carry a big 'ol impact drill and generator with you in your vehicle.

With all that said, the Flame Pack, is the instrument you will use the most (5 lbs maybe), then the probe bar, then the CGI (5 lbs).

I can't answer you about your neck problem. The hardest part, for me anyway, is using the probe bar in hard ground. But I use it every day, and haven't had much problem with it. You just have to let it do the work for you instead of you trying to make it work.

jwalker

• 2 months later...

I have not seen a post on this site since Seeptember. Is SCC not hiring and having gas leak detectors travel the country? Can anybody answer this? I went to the website, which has changed a lot and I see advertisements for gas leak detectors in individual cities? Just wondering if they did away with the travel part of it?

Deb

SCC is,still hiring, I'm currently in louisville, Ky work 10hr days six days aweek. Normally I would be off work until April, but my DW is in Arkanas with her sick family. I did not want to go home (rio grand valley) by myself. I will be heading that way Dec 22.

SCC is always looking for travelers. The SCC site is mainly for fulltime permanet site people.

Just download the application and send it. Then call Sherman carrolton at 770-329-0150.

Bob