2007 hurricane slide sagging

my main slide is 12'6" and is sagging in the middle, on the top, this has created a water leak,  when it is stored, the slide is in and there is no problem, but when we are using it and the slide is out, if it rains, it leaks because the seal does not touch the top of the slide in the middle. I use a metal bar that is for the bed of a pickup truck with a ratchet mechanism to push the slide back up.  that works fine, but i want to fix it so i dont have to do that every time.  i am thinking of taking all the trim off, putting a piece of steel channel in it, drilling and riveting the whole length of the slide and then replacing the trim.  is this the best way to fix it?  does anyone have any other ideas? 

Last year I had to do as you are saying. For one of my customers,

What I did was measure the length I needed. Bought a piece of 1/4” thick by 4” flat aluminum plate and made it the length I need. I would say I staggered holes every 8” .  I cannot remember exactly, but I wanted enough to hold it in place.

I made sure the seals were not affected with this in place. I purchased the appropriate screws and installed it. I was in that rv about two weeks ago and it is still working as needed.

I would check to see where the water was getting in before you fasten the metal in place. If you use dicor  lap sealant just before you set the metal in place, it will rm around the metal and not hold the metal in a crooked shape.    Maybe do a dry run with a few screws holding the metal in place. Before you glue it in with the lap sealant.

Just my thoughts,    Vern

13 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

What I did was measure the length I needed. Bought a piece of 1/4” thick by 4” flat aluminum plate and made it the length I need. I would say I staggered holes every 8”

Do you have any pictures?  im not sure how flat bar would provide any structural support which is why i was thinking channel or angle.  I had not thought about aluminum, which would surely reduce the added weight.  

thank you for the reply.